Support for my son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for my son

maggiess
maggiess Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone 
i have a fabulous son who is now 38, married & now with a beautiful baby. After a long, arduous & very hard battle he has now a diagnosis of Dyslexia, Mild Learning Difficulties and Autism/Aspergers. 
He has moved away from his hometown to his wife’s hometown and they are all happy as they have a lot of support.
I am quite concerned that if they were to divorce (which I don’t think it will happen at all) or he wants to leave, I have no one to be able to give him any support / help. There is no one / no services or anything that knows of his disability & I’m really worried about it. Can anyone advise me please as I am worried should anything happen to me I just need peace of mind! 
Thanks 
Maggie 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @maggiess   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

You have come to the right place to ask for information, advice .

One suggestion is to look on line.  The National Autistic Society have a website . Which is full of information, advice and support.

Help line 020 7833 2299 

Also look at our posts from community members under Talk about Specific Conditions.

Autism Spectrum Disorders and Learning Difficulties.  Which I hope you will find helpful and give you peace of mind.

To reassure you.

We are a supportive, friendly community.  Please ask if we can advise on anything.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maggiess welcome to the community! 

@thespiceman has offered some great links to check out!

Do let us know if we can be of any further assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maggiess, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear you've been feeling worried. You've had some great advice from our community members: do have a look at the links and contact details provided above. 

National Autistic Society also have a helpline, so if you feel you would benefit from talking to a professional over the phone about your situation, they may be worth getting in touch with!

Autism Helpline opening hours 

Our Autism Helpline provides confidential expert advice and support on autism for autistic people, their families and friends. 
    Our lines are open 10am-4pm from Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, we are open from 9am-3pm (excluding Bank Holidays). You can call us on 0808 800 4104.
    Alternatively, you may also contact the Autism Helpline via our online enquiry form.
    You may also be able to find answers to your queries in our frequently asked questions

Brightness