PIP and Joint Hypermobility? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Joint Hypermobility?

Options
Androgen
Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
Does anyone have any experience of claiming PIP for Joint Hypermobility Syndrome?

It seems as though the variation between good days (virtually no issues) and bad days (not really being able to move at all) means that it "varies too much" to actually qualify for anything in mobility?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,046 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the descriptors. If you're affected at least 50% of the time then it's possible. There's more to PIP than mobility. For the daily living part there's 10 descriptors.

People claim PIP for all different conditions because of the way they're affected by them but you can't compare 2 people because we're all different.

If you apply then evidence will be needed and a face to face assessment is most likely as most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Androgen
    Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    I understand how all the descriptors and stuff work (I already get PIP)

I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience with PIP nad hypermobility specifically, because I get 0 points for anything to do with my hypermobility, even though it does cause problems on an almost daily basis, because they've said there's too much variation between good and bad days
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Options
    My daughter has hypermobility & EDS, she gets pip, I went to the f2f with her & we told the assessor exactly how the conditions affect her on a daily basis, the help she needs & gets not only on her bad days, but the better days too. It’s a debilitating degenerative condition. In my daughters case the bad days put weigh the good ones! 

Brightness