Barriers to sport and leisure research — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Barriers to sport and leisure research

StephenMc1974
StephenMc1974 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited November 2018 in Research and opportunities
HI all

My name is Stephen McAloney and I am currently studying an HNC in Sports Coaching & Development at West College Scotland and for coursework I am to submit a project relating to Sport & Leisure.

Being very hard of hearing myself, the topic, that I have a real interest in, I chose is to establish if anyone who has a physical disability (of any kind) face barriers when looking to join a leisure club or even face barriers at one already joined and as such have created a quick survey and hoping that I can get a few results back.  Barriers mentioned relate to adequate facilities, transport or even perceptions of what may make it harder for people to join.

I know from my own experience that the barriers I faced were mostly social due to being scared of conversation, discussions, listening to class instructors or having to ask any kind of question and being put in that awkward position.  Now fitted with a BAHA it is so much easier for me.

The survey itself, takes less than 3 minutes as it is very basic and straightforward.  The results are completely anonymous and it is the first survey I have ever done, so apologies if you feel I may have missed any type of answer or question that would relate to you.

I really hope that some of you would be so kind to take a few minutes by clicking the link to Survey Monkey below.  Please do drop me a line if you would like any questions answered or just to know more.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance beforehand and every reply will be of great benefit to my HNC coursework.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MPX2GMM

Many thanks
Stephen

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @StephenMc1974

Good Afternoon & Welcome ? 

I have just finished your questioner.

I hope that everything is okay????
  • StephenMc1974
    Hi

Thank you very much. The survey monkey account is actually my lecturers so i wont get to see anything until she opens it back up on Friday for me. 

I really appreciate it and hope it was as straghtforward as i hoped.

Many many thanks
    Stephen
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @StephenMc1974 Pleased to meet you.

Filled in your questionnaire . Thanks for this I wish you all the success.

Have and been to leisure  facilities, gyms but it is sometimes the barriers and personal encounters I do not like.

Support and inclusive society totally lacking and this does need to be addressed.

Want to tell you have spoken to several times about this to those in charge and Managers but it is the lack of empathy.

Seems more interested in going home and job is a job. Especially last one I went to about a year ago. Too much from the people joining.

Felt not wanted and it was made plain to me from the onset  of being in a gym with those who have never met any one like me.

Used to go and suddenly those next to me in either the treadmill or those next to me in other pieces of equipment such as bike did not wish to be near me.

All rather sad and tragic. Which meant my subscription cancelled and well the end of an embarrassing part of my life.

They never rang me back.

Pleasure to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @StephenMc1974

Yes everything was a
    peice of ? ??

Please please let me know if I can help you further????
  • StephenMc1974
    Very sorry to hear that and that's a very sad indication of where we are in society.

The leisure facilities I will be reviewing will be in the Renfrewshire area of Scotland and to be fair the facilities seem adequately upgraded but as you point out, people, can be the ones that cause so many people, not just with any kind of disability but of all walks of life not go to gyms.  You see now in papers the body shamers etc and its terrible. 

I would love to use some of those lines in my report, again all anonymous but I think its rather hard hitting when people move away from another human being simply because deemed 'different'.

Thank you Spiceman for taking time though.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @StephenMc1974, and thanks for sharing this with us. You may be interested in our recent guest blog by the founders of Fitable too!
  • StephenMc1974
    Thats smashing Pippa, thank you. Im sure i can find a lot of good reference material in there ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hello @StephenMc1974 I want to say if this my words  helps anything you do use it. You have my permission as long it is anonymous .Hope that is OK with you.

Please do thank you taking the time to read my post.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.