Finding it hard to find work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it hard to find work

JosephSwan
JosephSwan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone over the past few years ive been trying to get a job however ive never succeeded in getting ask to go in for an interview, i recently took my hearing impairment off my cv and now im getting interviews but when i go in for them and they ask if i have a disability i tell them about my impairment and they go really hesitant and they then start to lack interest, i hope this doesnt sound petty.

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's not petty at all. It's a frustrating and demoralising situation.
    No-one should ever ask if you have a disability as there can be no good reason for doing so. They are obviously planning to discriminate if you say yes.
    It will inevitably be harder to find work being disabled. However if they discriminate at interview then imagine how toxic they would be if you actually worked there!
    You're doing the right thing by leaving it off your CV. You should be able to decide when to bring it up at interview, not them. You can explain that your condition will not hinder you in doing the job.
    Eventually you will find one that will listen but it might take a long time, unfortunately.
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Hi @JosephSwan welcome,  i am sorry what you have said ,  think maybe you should put it back on your cv , as it is honest and that is what i always stand be . i wish you good luck in getting that job you are looking for  , never give up hope as there is a job out there you just dont know about it yet.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't put my disabilities oh my C. V.  In my job applications they ask for an online form to be completed as well as a c v sometimes they don't require a c v. Anyway on the forms it may ask once or twice depending on the policy about do you consider yourself disabled and do you have any special requirements for interview. It's discrimination to ask you directly whether you have a disability and what they are. On successful completion of interview I was asked to attend occupational health who assessed me as able to do the job with my coping strategies in place in complete confidence. H R were told I passed and from there I started my part time job. That's how it should work. So I would advise you that unless you are applying for jobs where it's not possible to be hearing impaired then go ahead and wait for them to ask you the proper way.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @josephswan, and welcome!

Thanks for sharing this with us. It doesn't sound petty at all! I wonder whether Scope's Support to Work programme could be helpful for you?

Brightness