Carers element of UC info plz. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers element of UC info plz.

hellsbells42
hellsbells42 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Would my husband be entitled to get the carers element of UC for me as he works full time normally, but still looks after me for more than 35 hours a week. What is the maximum earnings before they say no you can't have it?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm guessing you're claiming a qualifying benefit to be asking about the carers element of UC?

UC is a means tested benefit and because your partners working then there's only so much you can claim because his earnings will be counted and this will affect the amount you can claim. The best thing you can do is to use a benefits calculator to see what you could both claim as a couple.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hellsbells42
    yes, I get PIP. I have tried and it says an amount that I know is wrong :(

• hellsbells42
    do you know how to work it out though on how they do the deduction etc  @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    What amount is wrong? What deduction do you mean? If you're talking about a benefit calculator they are only as accurate as the information you put in, if what you're putting in is incorrect the total amount won't be right. How much you can claim will depend on your partners monthly income during your assessment period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
  • hellsbells42
    thank you, will give it a go!
  • hellsbells42
    the deduction I meant like if you're working, they take 0.63 (for very pound over) off you, so I didn't now if they did the same for the carers element and said well cos you're earning, you can't have all of the £152 or whatever it was.
  • hellsbells42
    thanks @poppy123456 . If I have worked it out properly, my husband would get none. Due to his earnings from his job, we would only receive about £140 a month of UC, so they take off every £1 off that so it would be nothing.
  • poppy123456
    I didn't expect him to be paid any of the carers element of UC because he does work and his earning will count for each assessment period of UC.

If it does work out that you'll be paid some UC then there's likely to be some months where he'll receive 2 wages, if this happens your UC will be reduced to zero for that month, so you'll have to make sure you budget for those times. The following month because he won't be paid any wages during the assessment period, you'll receive more UC for that month.
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous

You can get this addition of £156.45 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this element. 

Unlike Carers Allowance where you are prevented from claiming if you are earning above a certain level (£120pw for 2018/19), for the Carers Element your level of earnings does not prevent you from claiming. However, as the Carers Element is a part of Universal Credit,which is means-tested, your earnings and other income will affect whether you can get this and how much universal credit you are entitled to.

If you are making a joint claim you can get a carer element each if you both qualify for it, but you cannot be caring for the same severely disabled person.

Took this off the UC turn to us guide. I would expect that your partner would be eligible, though the amount he earns would affect the entitlement. Because he works he should have whats called an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance anyway (but earnings stop him from doing so) You need to either ring or make an appointment with the UC and they will tell you if he can qualify. Hope that helps x 

• poppy123456
    There will be no underlying entitlement to carers allowance unless the income from the partner is low.
  • hellsbells42
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    There will be no underlying entitlement to carers allowance unless the income from the partner is low.
    I thought not, didnt want to say for definite which is why i popped the earnings part in. i think its terrible how earnings stop someone from recieving financial help towards caring x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.