PIP reassessed out of the blue. Scared the hell out of me. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP reassessed out of the blue. Scared the hell out of me.

exdvr
exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
Got a letter this morning from DWP saying that due to changes in the law they had reassessed my claim for PIP even though it had been awarded up to 2026.  Thankfully there was no change but it caused a panic for a good few moments.  How many others have received such a thing early in the morning while still half asleep nearly causing yet another heart attack?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Don't panic too much @dvtrv I've heard they do a quick scan review in house I knew some one else that had this. I take it you diden't have a review form to fill in?

Im on an ongoing PIP award til 2027, so I'm may also get this done on mine.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Dazz66
    Dazz66 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    I was meaning to ask the other day about my pip situation @dvtrv my DLA came to an end after 10 years,, I after a nightmare with the pip assessment lost the mobility component ( which fair enough I like many others know its totally different now than DLA ) and I was one point off enhanced daily living etc  I didn't ask for a MR I didn't wanna risk loosing what I'd been awarded, I was told that I should though in future pick the phone up if my situation gets worse, which between 2007 to 2017 did but I didn't report I was worse. So as pre mentioned I got awarded in Sept standard living until 2020 , not even 2 yrs award , is it wise to ring and get my award reassed before 2020? I also have my ESA WC assessment in a weeks time! Oh what a year... #Anxiety 
  • exdvr
    So sorry @Dazz66 but I'm not qualified or able to answer your question.  I was simply shocked and surprised that I had been reassessed without my knowledge. It seems to make a nonsense of having a long-term award and it has shaken the security that I thought I had.   Why does life have to get so complicated?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

edited November 2018
    @exdvr did they just review yours with or without a form?

I've heard they do a quick scan review in house I knew some one else that had this. I take it you diden't have a review form to fill in?

Im on an ongoing PIP award til 2027
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• exdvr
    @Government_needs_reform …...no forms to fill in.  Knew nothing about it till a letter arrived totally out of the blue.  Shocked, surprised, shaken, and stirred.  What good is an award until 2026 if they can do this any time?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

exdvr said:
    @Government_needs_reform …...no forms to fill in.  Knew nothing about it till a letter arrived totally out of the blue.  Shocked, surprised, shaken, and stirred.  What good is an award until 2026 if they can do this any time?

@exdv I have heard this happening how long have you had your PIP before this review happened? I myself is on an ongoing PIP.

I know they can review it anytime, to me it seems you've had a light touch review.

was your award down at an assessment or Paper Based?

Mine was done all on Paper NO assessment and even the decision maker agreed and wrote (you have great difficulty) whether that counts for much not sure.

Yes it will panic you and me for that matter.. I've said to someone even though I've got an ongoing award and it clearly states after Oct 2027 I don't believe it's safe either NOW.

⬇️

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Dazz66 said:
    I was meaning to ask the other day about my pip situation @dvtrv my DLA came to an end after 10 years,, I after a nightmare with the pip assessment lost the mobility component ( which fair enough I like many others know its totally different now than DLA ) and I was one point off enhanced daily living etc  I didn't ask for a MR I didn't wanna risk loosing what I'd been awarded, I was told that I should though in future pick the phone up if my situation gets worse, which between 2007 to 2017 did but I didn't report I was worse. So as pre mentioned I got awarded in Sept standard living until 2020 , not even 2 yrs award , is it wise to ring and get my award reassed before 2020? I also have my ESA WC assessment in a weeks time! Oh what a year... #Anxiety 
    Your award to 2020 will be reviewed 1 year before it's due to end, so if you were awarded in September then you'll be reviewed in September of next year, unless your award is until 2021 and then the review will be 2020. Check your award letter for confirmation of the review date.

If you disagree with the decision of course you have 13 months to request the MR then Tribunal if that fails.

Whether or not your report a change of circumstances before your review date is entirely your choice and you should get further expert advice before doing so. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risk to your current award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    @exdvr yes, this makes sense. Due to the changes in following and planning a journey that were made, they are reviewing all PIP awards made from a certain date. This is most likely why you received that letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • C_Herath2009
    C_Herath2009 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Although i am tempted to tell them to stuff there review -I seriously do not need the stress..What are these people upto esp just before Christmas number 1.The letter for ESA nearly caused me a Nervous Breakdown -Do i have coppies off Xrays?How many do they want?To top it all i had to collect a blood test form (I have lost my glasses..)I was in a COMA ?I have no clue how long for and no wish to but a good cry and a lot off swear words sure helped the situation plus two Anti-Hysteria tablets ..Now i have just fallen over backwards ?I could abrieviate this -its enough to tip anyone into paranoia thankfully i do have screen shots off me after my Brain Injury they asked the dumbest questions (Made me cry last time )The £10 Christmas money in a Brown envelope had me nearly having a nervous breakdown last year..I know that i am lucky to get 1p .But this is a 24 page form that i can't make head nor tail off if one more person tells me i am lucky not to have to work(I would trade places any day i want to be the Mum i was not treated like a second class citizen ?)I would love to go back to work but exactly what as ?My Son is 9 he said Mum i don't know whats happened ..But you should go back to Nursery School..My Nephew was even worse as a 13 year old i could have bashed him with my crutches (I had a TOXIC reaction to medication was overdosed by EX-GP..)He said "Do you understand the CONCEPT that your Brain has been melted by Medication" Thankfully someone told him to shut up as my TBI would have done more than that..I have had far worse abuse in the street .Someone acused me off Que jumping i turned round to explain the obvious ?I was the only other person in the Que and was going to apologise my Knee Poped out i screamed it was so painful(Plus the shock off his rudeness?I just could not believe he was very smartly dressed..)Thankfully the manager yelled at him -he did not even have the guts to appologise ..Society can make you feel
    like TRASH .I carry a card (Older people are very kind and other disabled people but very few off the younger generation -what amazes me is its the People you least expect ..Well dressed smart people ..Or little ..On Bikes that attempt to run you over -i have no balance we had to have the entire Bungalow Addapted (My Parents entire Savings i had to Abandon my home with my SON?)I was putting shower Gel in my Hair (Shampoo on my body yet-falling over breaking ankles ..Wrists)Falling off the toilet was the about the limit and people call you lucky to have any money coming in?I am LUCKY to be ALIVE ..have a roof over my head -there are many people worse off -just sometimes i have to search for them. However should rather go through anything than my BOY to suffer and just try get on with what i can..Not writing ,homework -sport i just listen as he tries to teach me but it goes over my head.Very frustrating.But still glad to be HERE no matter what the # GOVERMENT chucks at me,or SOCIETY i thinks we have gone backwards not forwards i was brought upto be Polite and Compasionate.Have enstaled that in my son HUMANITY and RESPECT..Shame lots off people missed that lesson...
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @C_Herath2009
    Im so sorry to hear you are having such a tough time, it can be so hurtful to be misunderstood and to face the rudeness you have must be very difficult.

Are you getting any other support? Do you have support day to day to help you with things? 

Regarding the form, it would be good for you to get some help with this, have you tried the Citizens Advice Bureau? Or you could call our helpline to get some support on 0808 800 3333

Do keep chatting to us here though, we do care and want to help. I hope you are having a better day today.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • C_Herath2009
    Shaken and Stired but no Happy Hour -or bill paid i could mention a(P)Up in a Brewery ...Without me being consulted i hate these letters enough to STRESS anyone to the MAX...Esp when your really ILL also maybe off use our local University Law Department (Help
    People that have not been awarded there PIP/ESA thats in there final year they are overseen by the head lecturer (You should check it out and keep
    a log not recording unless its a voicemail?)Off any messages left many people they have helped ?It takes time but if they think you have a good case they will support you..
  • C_Herath2009
    i lost the flipping form you can hardly get to the local Uni -Its miles away and if you get lost in a Supermarket??I don't exactly stand a chance..Plus i am likely to fall over and break a bone at the moment all my ligaments are going..Having had 4 broken Ankles (I will check it out)But i am utterly Jacked Off i am not putting myself or my parents and son through this i would rather get in a Kanoo with my son a flee the country ether claim (Lunatic or Polotical Asylum)Or Both as my son and i get Racial Harrasment and have had spitting at us ...
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    error in posting.

Brightness