How can we get 2 powerchairs into one vehicle — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can we get 2 powerchairs into one vehicle

Agnes
Agnes Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2018 in Transport and travel
We recently attended our local SMART Centre as my husband who was my main carer has had 5 strokes and  therefore  like me he has to use a powerchair if we are out and about. We both cannot break down a chair or manually fix it when hoisted into the vehicle. We attended a national mobility vehicle provider and the only option we were offered was the Ford Independence . It took both chairs but a major issue was that neither of us could climb into the van and I am on a restricted driving licence which would prevent me driving such a large vehicle. We have contacted Motability and they have advised me to contact companies myself. The word unique is being bandied around re our situation but I refuse to believe  that others  have not had and hopefully solved this issue. I'm sorry that this post is so long but any information, advice or signposting to other organisations would be sincerely appreciated. 
Regards, Agnes 

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @Agnes

I can see you having a major problem in trying to find a vehicle to suit your needs, especially as you've ruled out the Ford Independence.  I run a Citroen Multispace which can fit my one mobility scooter but that would probably be too small for you plus it's still a bit high and almost van-like.  Sorry I can't offer any practical advice but I wish you well and hope you'll keep us informed.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking outside the box as it were, would you be able to tow a small trailer ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Agnes
    Agnes Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you both for answering, Agnes
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Just an aside but this month's Motability magazine shows a couple who had a Peugeot [identical to my Citroen] that had been converted to take a powered wheelchair plus a mobility scooter.  Maybe you could try them again ??

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness