1st application PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

1st application PIP

Gem2Boyz
Gem2Boyz Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi all,

I've heard that PIP decline your application and you have to appeal. I was just wondering if there are people who where accepted 1st Tim and if possible their disabilities. I have my face to face on 6th Dec

Thank you in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes plenty of people claim it successfully first time. myself and daughter included.

Knowing someone else's disability isn't going to make a difference. PIP isn't awarded based on that or a diagnosis, it's depends how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and you can't compare 2 people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gem2Boyz
    thank you poppy123456
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes plenty of people claim it successfully first time. myself and daughter included.

Knowing someone else's disability isn't going to make a difference. PIP isn't awarded based on that or a diagnosis, it's depends how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and you can't compare 2 people.
    Is that correct. I seem to recall that you or your daughter had a previous failure. Maybe that was DLA or am I having one of my 'senior' moments?

• poppy123456
    It was for DLA and i'm not even sure why you're questioning this anyway, as i'm not in the habit of lying about what benefits i successfully claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    I only mention it as you gave the impression that your daughter and yourself when claiming a disability based benefit first time you had no issues and you both received a favourable award.
    Yes DLA is different but is similar in many ways. It was a second application but the first for PIP.
    It is unusual to get the correct award for PIP first time with no issues - these generally are cases where advice and help has been sought throughout the process. Claimants who have little experience or knowledge generally have problems with their first claim.
    I just wondered as I do have these moments of confusion.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2018
    I don't see any where in the question above anything at all relating to DLA. The question is about PIP and i answered the question about mine and my daughters PIP claims. Again, you seem to be twisting things.... As i said and i'll say it again, lots of people claim PIP successfully first time without any problems at all.
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2018
    I don't see any where in the question above anything at all relating to DLA. The question is about PIP and i answered the question about mine and my daughters PIP claims. Again, you seem to be twisting things.... As i said and i'll say it again, lots of people claim PIP successfully first time without any problems at all.
    What I was trying to get at is that you no doubt realised after the DLA failures what to do with the next claim which was for PIP. Maybe reading what you should be putting on the form for example or realising what type of evidence you should be sending in.
    Yes lots do manage to get the correct PIP award first time, but do so generally because they have bothered to seek advice/help before making the claim. Many don't even bother to ask for any help or if they do they find that the help is not there. Those that have no idea what PIP is about and put down on the form what they think the DWP want to hear about generally fail at the first attempt.

I failed at the first 3 attempts - so that shows that I had no idea what I should have been doing with the claim forms. I was more preoccupied with describing how ill and disabled I am and completely ignoring the descriptors. Also I received no help for the first claim and failed to ask for help for the second and third claims.

• poppy123456
    Not at all, the help i received was very minimal and not much information was written on either of the forms.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
     I failed to claim DLA but I claimed PIP successfully the first time, not everyone has horror stories. I'm not so sure about my review though, but we'll see. I wish more people would post about their successful outcomes.

I had someone fill my form in for me, same as I'm going to do with my PIP review form that I have. I'm lucky to have Welfare Rights where I live, we also have CAB and advice centres here that will help.

I hope everything goes well for you.
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Gem2Boyz said:
    Hi all,

I've heard that PIP decline your application and you have to appeal. I was just wondering if there are people who where accepted 1st Tim and if possible their disabilities. I have my face to face on 6th Dec

Thank you in advance 
    Hi @Gem2Boyz
    Were you claiming DLA previously?
      Personally I was on DLA ,HRM.LRC.
    Since the 80's over the years saw 3 of the dwp appointed DRs all with different opinions from my own Drs as to what I had AS.FM.OA.
    Long story short I was awarded indefinately.
    Turned 68 at the beginning of this year and 3days after getting my DLA annual letter.
    I got an "invitation" to apply for PIP.  :)
    I must admit I should have read up on it more in previous years since 65.
    But it was a steep learning curve ,during my journey I first git an extension to put in my papers.asked for and with the help of a drs note ,a home f2f.
      I drove people mad (not literally)with questions and following advice on this forum and the Benifits&Work forum and their self test I soon found out that pip is a different animal ,as otherwise have mentioned it's not what you have it's how it affects you .
    I sent in quite a lot of proof to back up my claim.
    They had all my previous history on my ailments ,do they read them or take any notice of them ?? I know not.
    Because of my age as others may explain I had to get it right more so on the mobility aspect.
    Anxious as I was the F2F went well I had my chill pill and just told it how it was ,just think about your answers to the questions asked by the assessor.
    Fast forwards a week or three and the envelope came and as I had previously posted somewhere on the forum
    Enhanced on both aspects (only just on the mobility) but I wasn't going to argue and for 10yrs 
    So to answer your Questions yes you can get it first time do your homework ;) and good luck on your outcome ?
    Sorry for the long post and any typo's
    Now it's time for me to

Cheers 
    Gizmo
  • Gem2Boyz
    Hi
    no I don't claim anything as I work full time. I do however have a blue badge. I sent a letter showing this along with a letter from my GP and scan results. 
  • AndMac
    AndMac Community member Posts: 27 Pioneering
    Can I just add that it is perfectly possible to make a successful claim for PIP  "solo" without accessing external agencies for help. There is a lot of advice out there to guide you through making your claim, if you are geniunely entitled under the descriptors

I did my own succesful DLA application for enhanced mobility in 2009, I then made a successful claim for enhanced mobility and standard care in June 2017, My condition had deteriorated significantly in the interim, hence the new entitlement.
    I got through on the f2f each time, no need for appeals.

I'll not say it wasn't stressful, because it was. I need my PIP to help me to pay my bills, as I have a low income from self-employment. The thought of losing my home if the claim didn't succeed was a sobering one.

You can do it on your own, I think the fact that I did bolstered my claim, to be honest.
  • Yadnad
    AndMac said:
    Can I just add that it is perfectly possible to make a successful claim for PIP  "solo" without accessing external agencies for help. There is a lot of advice out there to guide you through making your claim, if you are geniunely entitled under the descriptors.

It doesn't matter if you genuinely believe that you are entitled to PIP based on the descriptors, if the assessor disagrees with you or doesn't believe what is on the claim form or what you say at the assessment then no matter what you are just as likely to get 0 points.
    As regards advice on line - that is only as good as the claimant understanding and accessing a computer.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    One of the problems is that many people try and make the descriptors fit their condition. The descriptors are fairly rigid in nature so what needs to be done is to
    take your condition to the descriptor that applies and use 2 or 3 examples of what happens, why, when you try to perform that activity

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mitzymoo
    mitzymoo Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    I had help from CAB with my claim form. Had f2f at home alone. The assessor was nice.
    The assessment form was all correct.
    I have now been awarded.
    1st time applying, was not on DLA.
    Hope this helps.
  • Gem2Boyz
    I had my assessment yesterday and it was nothing like I was advised. The woman was lovely and we just went through my application in more detail. I have recieved a message from PIP today saying they have receive my report so it's now just a waiting game (hopefully not too long).

How long did it take for a decision with others as I have been told within 6 weeks but not sure if that's because of Christmas not being far off.
  • poppy123456
    There's no time scales to decisions, backlogs is just part of the reasons a decision can be delayed. If you live in the UK ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.
  • Gem2Boyz
    ok thank you.  I thought you could only have a copy if you've been refused
  • poppy123456
    Gem2Boyz said:
    ok thank you.  I thought you could only have a copy if you've been refused
    No, this is not correct. I've had copies of all my PIP reports and never been refused.
  • Gem2Boyz
    sorry to be a pain but do you know the number to phone and can it be emailed to me or posted?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.