Pain thresholds — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain thresholds

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The doctors are undergoing a process of being pushed into limiting pain killers and there is a general feeling that people get used to whatever pain killers used and keep asking for more. For myself I cannot get these people to appreciate just how much pain goes over the intolerable threshold as they have never suffered it themselves.

I do not make a habit of showing distress as I live alone and verbal acknowledgement is always for others benefit. Consequently I often get told I do not require as much instead of helping actually reduce what I suffer. I often argue with doctors who simply have no understanding.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you had any physiotherapy @danb? Any other help?
  • bobives
    bobives Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    i have secondary lymphodeama in my legs, for 20 years, also i have chronic pain in my lower back, and everywhere below my waist. i am taking 30/500 co codomol and noproxyn maximum amounts every day. i cannot function properly, i cannot walk, i sleep on and off most of the day.life sucks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 58 Connected
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @bobives!

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, it sounds really debilitating. I hope at the very least it helps to know you're among others who understand here, and I'm glad to see you have @danb to chat to. If we can be of any assistance, do let us know.
  • Emily_Emz33
    Emily_Emz33 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    @danb I fully understand what you're going through. I am 33 and have lower lumbar spinal disease, hip bursitis, endometriosis, fibromyalgia and was rushed in for urgent spinal surgery last June for Cauda Equina syndrome for which I lost all feeling from the waist down. I had to learn to stand, walk and sit up right all over again. I was in hospital for 10 months and in a wheelchair for 12 months which I still have to use from time to time. I can't walk unaided and life has changed. Like you I was ignored for years on end. Given pain killers such as morphine, I was on ridiculously high doses for several chronic pain problems. I didn't have the energy to fight them and tell them to look into my worsening back problems. If I have one piece of advise it would be this...YOU know your own body, don't just accept pills, fight for investigation before, God forbid, you end up in an emergency situation like I did. Get refereed to a pain management clinic, ask them if your worsening symptoms would warrant and MRI or CT scan. Push for investigation. Without proper disgnosis all that is going to happen is your pain and possible spinal condition will just be masked like a plaster over a sore and get worse over time. 
    In the mean time really take care of your back, bend at the knees, don't lift anything too heavy, sleep with a pillow between your knees. I can absolutely understand your frustration and pain.
    Keep fighting. Stay strong and listen to your body!
    Best of luck ?
    Emily 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 58 Connected
  • Emily_Emz33
    Emily_Emz33 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    @danb most definitely keep pushing. Get second and third opinions if you need too. Avoid everything if u can that causes you increased pain. I wish u all the luck in the world, try and keep us posted if you can. I've got everything crossed that someone finally sits up and listens to you and you're very real pain! 
    Keep smiling ?
    Emily 

Brightness