Is there a maximum age to be a carer? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a maximum age to be a carer?

bigcol48
bigcol48 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi is there a maximum age for a carer to be for a teenager with mental health issuses

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bigcol48 and a very warm welcome to you. Glad to have you with us, and sorry I could not respond to your post sooner.
    I'm not qualified to make any hard and fast declarations about this, but I suspect that there is not an 'age' as such, since people can be of the same age but very different in their physical and mental condition. Circumstances must arrive when a carer is beyond being able to do all they are asked to do as carers, but I imagine there are a lot of folks struggling to be carers with inadequate support.
    Does any of this make any sense to - or perhaps apply to - you?
    Bear with us anyway, and keep in touch. Others will be in contact with you as your post filters through the system.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    @JennysDad
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bigcol48, and a warm welcome to the community!

As far as I know there's no upper age limit to being a carer. Hopefully our community members will be able to clarify this. If it's Carers Allowance and the financial side of things you're concerned about, there's some great guidance on this on the Carers UK website:

Most carers who are pension age will be receiving a State Pension. There might be other benefits you can claim as a carer who is pension age.

Carer's Allowance and State Pensions

While there is no upper age limit for claiming Carer's Allowance, you cannot receive the full amount of both Carer's Allowance and your State Pension at the same time. This is because Carer's Allowance and State Pensions are classed as 'overlapping benefits'. However, you might still be able to get some extra money in recognition of your caring role.
    If your State Pension is less than Carer's Allowance (less than £64.60 per week) you can get the difference paid in Carer's Allowance. For example, if your State Pension is £50 per week you can get £14.60 per week in Carer's Allowance.

If your State Pension is more than Carer's Allowance (more than £64.60 per week) you cannot be paid any Carer's Allowance. However it might still be worth claiming, as you can still get an 'underlying entitlement' to Carer's Allowance. Whilst this is not financially beneficial itself, it can increase any means-tested benefits you are currently getting or mean you become entitled to means-tested benefits for the first time (depending on your and any partner's income and capital). This is because having the 'underlying entitlement' to Carer's Allowance means that a Carer Addition will be included when working out whether you are entitled to means-tested benefits.

Brightness