RECIPES TO BEAT THE BLUES — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPES TO BEAT THE BLUES

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one thought share my favourite recipes to ease the symptoms of the blues. Those who have colds and need a uplift .

CHICKEN MINESTRONE SOUP.

Been doing this recipe for years and years. Helps the blues and good for the immune system.

There might be a lot involved but trust me. Make a lot to freeze or use during the week.

You will need the following.  

One large Chicken
Onions, garlic, roots anything you have Carrots, Swede, Potatoes.  Diced up . Or buy one of the supermarkets Soup mix.

Add to that Celery . From freezer Peas and Green Beans, Kale, Leeks.. Butternut squash.

I have not given precise measurements all you want is a good blend and mix of vegetables.

Two Chicken Stock cube.
Boiling Kettle.
Large Stockpot.
Herbs Bay leaf. Thyme dried Parsley dried one teaspoon of each.  Or fresh up to you.

For broth Soup mix soaked over night.  Drained. Then according to instructions on packet. Same with Pasta to a saucepan as per instructions packet.

Blender, bowls, knives. Two pans and one for Soup. Sieve to use when blending.

METHOD

Using fresh veg cut off the ends and the same with onions and celery. Any bits from the vegetables you are using into a base of a stock pot with a Chicken on top . 

This is going to be your poaching stock and soup at the end.

Cover with boiling water up to the sides. Halfway. Not even that. Add herbs, stock cubes. Cover bring to the boil simmer.

Usually after a couple of hours . I tend to leave it on the back of the hob just gently away.

In the mean time diced all the veg cube and sliced. If you using pre diced no need.

Now when Chicken is cooked check with a knife. Clear juice . I use knife to the thighs. Remove to bowls. Careful here can be hot. So shred with rubber gloves or let it cool down.

A portion of the poaching liquid with some of the vegetables.  Blitz up blender careful here might be worth letting it cool down

To another pan sieved a portion of the soup stock with vegetables. Cover and a simmer. Meantime add soup broth mix and pasta to according to instructions.  On packets.

When done drain to the stock along with portions of Chicken and any freezer vegetables.

After about 20 minutes till vegetables cooked through serve.

I hope every one has a go at doing this because Chicken Soup is renown for boosting immune system.

You can chop and change vegetables add other Pasta or Beans or Pulses.  Add chilli if you want. Feel a cold coming on use this.

Bueno Appetito

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Fat_Jon
    Fat_Jon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I have blagged a Nigella Lawson recipe for home made ice cream without an ice cream maker. This makes about 2 litres, but be warned - it is not for those on a diet. 

I use 2 cans of condensed milk, 600ml double cream, a jar of 'spread' which varies depending on the flavour you require, and 4 tablespoons of liqueur which also will vary with the flavour. The alcohol will prevent the ice cream from freezing too hard, and results in a mousse consistency. 

For lemon flavour I use lemon curd and limoncello. 

For chocolate I use chocolate spread and a chocolate liqueur. 

For hazlenut I use nutella and hazelnut liqueur. 

For vanilla I use vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract and vanilla vodka. 

All I do is electric whisk-up all the ingredients for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture is thoroughly combined and begins to form brief peaks when the whisk is removed. Pour into a large container (old 2 litre ice cream tub) and place in the freezer overnight. 

The next day you should be rewarded with soft ice cream which tastes far better than anything available in the shops. 

Thankyou Nigella. 

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us @thespiceman :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Thanks for sharing the recipes
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Banana bread 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Chicken curry.
    buy a chicken, and curry powder and some rice, put it in the kitchen and something wonderful happens! 

(Can you guess I don’t cook)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 554 Pioneering
    My favourite comfort food if I am down in the dumps is chips mashed in gravy! I've liked this ever since I was a kid. When I feel a tad blue I don't generally feel like cooking or eating, but I always know that if I go in the kitchen and make some chips and gravy I will feel better. Not much effort, but a hugh return in feeling good!

@Fat_Jon If you like soft ice cream because the alcohol stops it from freezing, have a look at Nigella's Semifreddo recipe (page 172 Nigellissima). The base recipe for the semifreddo isn't good (it is too hard) so I use a base recipe from BBC Good Food (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coffee-semifreddo) but use Nigella's flavourings. To make it easy to turn out I stick a Sainsbury's loaf tin cake liner in a bread pan, as I don't want to be messing around with hot water. If you haven't already tried this recipe, you may find it nice.

Brightness