Unsure what I to do about my Dad's Mandatory reconsideration situation — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsure what I to do about my Dad's Mandatory reconsideration situation

greengiant18
greengiant18 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi everyone , I'm pretty much stumped what to do next (sorry I was unsure what to put this post under). We got the ESA desicion letter a day late and arrived Friday 23rd nov afternoon too not much time to act so left it for Monday morning last week.

Managed to get medical records very recently in hopes it will help them understand what his physical condition,mental condition currently is.MR form Filled out by my dad as he is the one claiming, along the medical records and my own letter I wrote telling them what I help him with daily and what he can't do.

I sent off next day to the sorting place/office Tue 4th Dec to the address on the ESA desicion letter. Should I have sent the form itself on monday instead of medical docs and letters ?(I originally was but I thought sending it off all together would be better and not get lost as easy if it's all lumped together). My issue is excluding weekends its just shy two weeks till the deadline of 28 days. Any tips of what should be done next, if anything at all. A tad worried I messed up.?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by you got the decision letter a day late. Post from DWP can take 7 days to arrive. There should be plenty of time for them to receive the letter of request.

The most important thing is understanding what ESA is all about and the descriptors for each of the groups.

ESA is about the work you can do and not what you can't do. They assess your ability to do any type of work.

You need to look at the descriptors to see which group, if any you should be placed into. Were you found fit for work or placed into the WRAG and you disagreed with the decision?

Only 18% of MR decisions change so expect to have to take it to Tribunal as most do.

See ESA descriptors here.

Reg 29/35 here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • greengiant18
    greengiant18 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
       What I meant was the desicion start date was the date stated on the letter that was  the ESA assessment results, that date on that letter is the start of the one month MR deadline and was dated 22nd Nov
        However it arrived mid afternoon next day which was a Friday. So could not act on it for technically a few days till monday 26 Nov. Just sent it all off next day earlier today Tue 4th Dec, I was worrieid it won't get to them in time. 
      What I'm saying I guess is is there an alternative way like getting an appointment at the nearest job centre and asking it to be faxed to them instead ( I have copies and scans of majority of the form and documents sent off) so just wondering if it's easier to get an appointment somehow and have it faxed to the people who deal with it directly, however my dad cannot use public transport and if he does go further afield for appointments I have to go with him and would have to go via taxi which costs more to go to said job centre to fax over than get a letter sent off.

Sorry if it's all muddled or unclear , but that's it basically. Thanks by the way, will look at links provided for future reference.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    No, you wont be able to fax them the letter of request.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.