Being partially blind — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being partially blind

charmaine43
charmaine43 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi I have been partially blind for almost ten years know and it is getting to the point that it is getting me down and I have been told that I’m not entitled to any disability benefits and now I have another problem know I am in great pain with my right leg for which I was told that it is a hamstring and sciatica together I can hardly move or stand

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi charmaine and welcome

Who told you that you are not entitled to any benefit ?

Have a look at the PIP descritors and see if you fulfill any
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charmaine43
    Hi there cockney rebel it was the people at the assessment they sent off the report and I received a letter from the deputy saying that I’m not entitled because I can move around and do things for myself 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charmaine43, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling low. Adapting to life with disability can be so tough, but you're among others who understand here, who will listen and do their best to help. If we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.
  • charmaine43
    Only thank you for the warm welcome I’m just at my wits end because every time I have applied for disability benefits I always get the knock back saying that I’m not entitled and it gets me down a lot I just don’t know what to do anymore 
  • CockneyRebel
    I would still advise that you look at the descriptors. PIP is awarded not on your condition but how you are affected with daily activities. If you were refused very recently you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration. You should also ask the DWP for a copy of the assessment report
  • charmaine43
    I applied back in March of this year and I’m not sure if I want to apply again as I’m worried about getting turned down 
  • CockneyRebel
    It is important to understand the points system, the descriptors and criteria for an award. This is the key to a successful claim, you need to show that you meet the criteria for each and give 2-3 examples of what happens when you try to complete the activity
    You also need to take into consideration whether you can do things Safely, repeatedly, to an acceptable standard and for the majority of time

Brightness