Points on licence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Points on licence

hickie66
hickie66 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
hi just wondering if anyone else has had this problem I am my son appointee he has been awarded mobility enhanced. So I gone to get a mobility car for us and I’ve got points on my licence and been refused is there anyway around this as there no one else that got a licence at home. 

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Have you spoke with Motability about this? If not I would advise you do as we won't know what your points on you licence are for? 

Not saying you have. But If you've say got DD a Drink driving points then I could see why you woulden't get a car from them.

They will then tell you why you can't have a car. Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    It says on the Motability website

Proposed drivers with certain motoring convictions, licence endorsements, fixed penalty notices or disqualifications within the last five years will not be allowed. 

If a driver's licence has been endorsed with penalty points following a motoring conviction or fixed penalty notice during the agreement, you will need to inform us immediately. Failure to do so may be considered a breach of terms and conditions and we may repudiate any claim where there has been a failure to disclose a change in a permitted drivers details.

For general enquiries about the Motability Car Scheme or Powered Wheelchair and Scooter Scheme please call Motability Operations on:

0300 456 4566
    Minicom: 0300 037 0100

Lines are open 8am - 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am - 1pm Saturday.

http://www.motability.co.uk/
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    They're in all probability just covering their **** but it seems to be a bit on the severe side especially regarding fixed penalty notices. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,347 Disability Gamechanger
    RSA are well within their rights to refuse to insure you, exactly the same way any other insurance company can. It's nothing to do with the fact you have points. It's the reasons why you have the points that's got you refused. I had points on my driving license when i first got my mobility car but i wasn't refused.

Ring them and ask the reason why you've been refused, this is the only way you'll know why. Unfortunately you won't be able to do anything about it other than waiting until those points have been removed. Once removed then you can get the mobility car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    RSA are well within their rights to refuse to insure you, exactly the same way any other insurance company can. It's nothing to do with the fact you have points. It's the reasons why you have the points that's got you refused. I had points on my driving license when i first got my mobility car but i wasn't refused.

Ring them and ask the reason why you've been refused, this is the only way you'll know why. Unfortunately you won't be able to do anything about it other than waiting until those points have been removed. Once removed then you can get the mobility car.
    It's not just having the points that is the insurers problem ,it's the extra premium/loading that you would be charged by all insurance companies. RSA can't levy different premiums on different drivers so they only take those drivers that would normally not have any loading made.

As an example my wife in 2016 in our last Motability car went through a speed camera at 38mph in a 30 zone. The police offered for her to have a day long safety course instead of the 3 points. She being she decided that she was not going to be told how to drive given that this was her first conviction for anything since she passed her test in the mid 60's. She received 3 points instead. Motability were notified as per the rules and they took her off the policy.

I believe that it is 4 years from conviction before the points are removed.

Brightness