PIP reassessment up rated - should it be back dated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP reassessment up rated - should it be back dated?

bethlehem
bethlehem Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi , I’ve been on pip for about 3 years at standard rate with my claim due to expire next June. In March ish I was sent a basic form asking if my condition had changed, I returned it saying no it was as I had told them when I first applied even though their assessment hadn’t agreed with all my statements. I then had a f2f at the beginning of September. The decision came through last week dated 23 November saying I’d been upgraded to enhanced rate from the 23 November. Surely thi this upgrade should at the very least be from the date of the f2f if not the form completion? There was no other evidence submitted other than the f2f. I’ve looked on various sites and can’t seem to get a categorical answer. Also contacted a support group for my illness but they are not giving any welfare advice until after Xmas which I expect will be too late by then. 
Anyone any ideas or similar experience?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately your new award will only come into force on the day of the decision as you had an award in payment.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • bethlehem
    Even though they took 12 weeks to make the decision?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    bethlehem said:
    Even though they took 12 weeks to make the decision?
    Unfortunately so. The longer they keep the decision back the more money that they will be saving in your case.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If the decision had gone against you, would you want to pay the money back ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • bethlehem
    No but then I was already receiving it as I had be judged to be ill. It seems unfair that I was deemed ill enough on at the beginning of September to qualify for enhanced but that because they took 12 weeks to look at my assessment ( I know a new claimant in the area who received her decision after 3 weeks) I should not be entitled to the money.
  • bethlehem
    Besides they ask for Tax credits back if they over pay you because you circumstances change part way through the year so I don’t see why they wouldn’t for PIP
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, when waiting for a review decision if the award is higher there's no backdated money. As @CockneyRebel said, you wouldn't want to repay the money back if the decision didn't go in your favour and you lost the award.

Comparing your claim to someone else's with the length of time it took to make a decision isn't going to help. Backlogs is just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.