Ableism in Public Transport — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ableism in Public Transport

nkaron
nkaron Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi there!
If you would feel comfortable sharing a couple of experiences you have had on public transport with me that would be much appreciated!

This is a largely theoretical project, so it's perfectly fine if you would rather not!
We are trying to see if we can create an app or product or service that can add a more dignified and inclusive feature to the current public infrastructure, looking specifically at how better to facilitate confidence and safety for individuals travelling alone. ( For reference, apps such as Wayfindr, Assist-Mi, etc. )

You could also fill out a 3 minute survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3339R9R  and share it with people who you think wouldn't mind adding to my research!

Also feel free to leave comments if there is any way I could improve my method/ if my questions are too presumptuous. Cheers!

Comments

• TheFlyingWheelchair
    TheFlyingWheelchair Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am a wheelchair user so I use the wheelchair space on buses. Often I get on the bus, and the people with buggies glare at me with evil eyes but nevertheless, they move out of the way most of the time. One time though, I got on the bus and there was a buggy in the wheelchair space. She looked at me and sighed sadly and eventually moved. I got in and she saw there was no room for her MASSIVE buggy and said: "Well, what am I supposed to do now?". I said "Maybe fold it?", and she didn't reply and was sulking at me. She made me feel guilty that I was a wheelchair user having to use the wheelchair space like I was going into her space. Anger was rising up inside me but I managed to keep calm!

When people are reluctant to leave the wheelchair space, it makes me feel guilty that I want to use public transport. I know I shouldn't because everyone has the right to use public transport, including wheelchair users.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.