HEAT OR EAT THE CHOICE THE STARK TRUTH — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HEAT OR EAT THE CHOICE THE STARK TRUTH

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2018 in Coffee lounge
Hello my friends just a chat about the stark choice have to make.

Seems my Utility company sent me a Email concerning my output.

Want to increase my bill again to another amount. Yet am on a fixed tariff and that is guaranteed to not increase.

So imagine my distress and anxiety when they also announced am in debt to them.

I am confused and still do not understand any of it. All too complex. That even if you send a meter reading have and do give you an estimate.

Estimate that means a guess.. Used their on line chat room easier for me.

Why am I in debt according to our estimates your projection for the next year is £776 based on our estimates. How do you know?  Projections are guesses.

So got a load of waffle back but really. Apparently also asking for a warm front to be taken in consideration still means am in debt to them.

Seriously disturbing and seriously something is not right here.

So what is the point of giving you an meter reading if this and every time you are guessing.  Every month. By the way those meter readings are they say an accurate forecast he added. I said have a smart meter in that still in my opinion then is not worth it is it.

OK yes understand it is to who is the benefit for.  

Here is one final point speaking to a friend last night discussing this and the whole energy debacle. They owe me money he quipped never see it.  Take off my bill want to know where my money is.

Had to make a choice last night no point leaving heating on. Costs too much and told them bluntly.  You going to make me ill have to freeze then and be cold. Got no choice. This is stupidity.

Back this morning heating two hours minimum and evening as well.

Got my layers on thick socks, and sweater.

What is the point of having heating my last remark if it costing me money. Also my other point it is a con and add to that do wonder how many of our community will be either ill. .

Have fears and anxieties for those in similar position to me. Do know this is upsetting how many will die this Winter . All because the utter failures, debacle mess of the utilities companies causing people to make a choice.

This should not be happening at all.

What do others think?  I am glad to hear the comments.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• CaraLee
    CaraLee Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Hello,
    I am really sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time. Have you considered contacting citizens advice and explaining the situation? It may help ease your anxieties if somebody is able to talk you through it and offer some expert advice. I hope you can stay wrapped up and warm as much as possible until your issue is resolved. Hopefully citizens advice may be able to offer you some advice and support. Wishing you all the best, do let us know how you get on  :) 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CaraLee Thank you for reply. I am truly grateful for answering my post.

Thank you sharing the information on CAB something I will consider.

I am consider my self a smart intelligent gent. Savvy and careful with my money,  Joined Which the consumer organisation. So will probably contact them.

I have and do will look at other options. Including to switch to another Utility company once again.

My issues and problems with these companies needs addressing as I think we all do.

My concern is not only myself but others who have difficulties whether mental or physical coping the complexities of the energy business. Which needs to be in my opinion all re regulated.

One thing I forgot to add have met people from other countries. Especially Holland, and Scandinavia who have cooperatives buy there own energy and set there own prices. 

Understand we have serious problems in this country with prices and buying energy. As what happens is the companies buy gas and electric when prices are low. Then transfer the cost to us the consumer. I am very much aware of certain obligations to share holders.

What many people do not realise that some of the small companies offering energy are actually subsidies of the one of the big six.  As they are called.

So what is the answer.

One final point had written a post last year. This is evident also they these companies. Operate in a way that you are in debt to them so you can not leave.

Have a look at your energy bill so complicated one time rang up the utility company. Even she on the other end of the phone could not understand it either.  

You must remember the bill is designed to throw you in a confusion.

Mentioned this a few times as well. Also do know they all the staff work from script any answers. So you are not clear any way.

Do you know how much you are paying.. The amount you have on the bill is the amount you pay . Monthly or quarterly . In reality much more. Double check the usage against the amount you pay.

Turned out I owed this energy company £180 . Yet they set my bills to £30 a month.

So please have a look at your bill . Do not want to scare you.  If you leave will have to pay exit fees, plus the debt that they have got you into.

Trust me been there .

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CaraLee
    CaraLee Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Hello thespiceman it sounds like your a very considerate person it is good that you are concerned about others, this is a passion I share going out to provide gloves, scarfs and hats to homeless people to keep warm as I found myself in this situation for a short time and I am fortunate enough to be in a better place now so I can help others. 
    You seem to be approaching you situation smartly and assessing your options which is very wise. It's great to meet you good luck with your endeavors.     
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CaraLee Thank you for kind words. This what makes the community great meeting other people who are similar to yourself.

Have the same ideals and goals to help others. I am always glad to meet you as well.  I am a Christian and have done a lot of charity work connected with those whose lives are bleak, distressing and suffering due to hardship.  In the past. Now feel can use that life experience on here to share.

I think we all need sometimes to reach out a help those in need if we can.

I wanted just to point out what is happening out there at this moment.

I am sure am not alone with all of the issues of trying to keep warm.

Pleasure to meet you. Ever need a chat or look for a friend to offload to listen always here most days.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope you get this sorted asap. I'm scared tolook at my bills. I just pay what I can. I prefer direct debit as it's same amount but I recently cancelled it and im having problems getting it back on d d . Found it really hard to talk to them on the phone. They ignored my emails.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    With a fixed rate only the cost per unit is fixed and not the total cost of consumption.

With good insulation the normal 2 person family would have an annual dual fuel bill for gas and electric of about £1425.
    With this the heating would be available 24/7 and only trip on when the temp in the house drops below what the thermostat says.

As for electricity the norm is a washing machine, a dryer, fridge freezer and electric oven.

The budget would be about £119 a month. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @debbiedo49 Thank you for commenting on my post.

This is the issues you have are quite common and it is finding what is right for you.

The whole energy market is as complex and confusing as benefits.

What confuses me is the way these companies have the prices.  The tariffs. Again so complex .

I have constantly many times switched companies, this is the other issues. You switch and then price goes up.

I am like you on direct debit but in the harsh world of these energy companies. You can sign up and then alter price at will.

To there own satisfaction.  Say anything to confuse and cause me more worry.  Had this morning phoned up and they are saying to me already in debt to them. How and why you tell me.

Sorry what you are going through.  I do not know what the answer is.  I am the same as yourself and constant fears, anxieties.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Yadnad Pleasure to meet you again.

Thank you for the comments. I always still think that is too much money .£1425 a year works out as you said £118 a month too much.

Do not understand this fixed price . Tariff. Went on line this morning and found this company has six groups of tariffs . All different rates why.

Also the price you pay is guaranteed for the year of the terms of the contract.  Nothing about unit price of gas that has nothing to do with anything.

If that goes up do not pass it on to the customer.  

If I quote a price for something. Say this is fixed for a year then it fixed. The price  stays the same. 

Seriously wrong here is there not if I can not put heating on..  You tell me.  Have it on it is cold we need to have heating.  Common sense.

Claiming I use too much. What exactly is too much. Mystery to me. 

Did ring this morning. Totally clueless and have no idea.

Never understood any of the call this morning. Annoyed and angry to think we need heating to keep warm.

Have to restrict it and even now. Concerned as I am of those who are in similar situations.

Good to talk to you as always respect your views and opinions.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for listening.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Username_removed I am on the priority register.

All they offer is safe secure passwords if call.  To home. Plus vulnerable, disabled customers. Those in other groups get help and assistance with bills. Make them larger able to read.  That all really .

Entitled to warm front grant . Another con. Great to have this  not till next years comes off bill. Need the money now not next year.

Told is a Government Scheme. Cannot deduct money. They claim even with that taken off be in debt to them how .

Good to talk to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness