My son is my carer and he had his carers allowance stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son is my carer and he had his carers allowance stopped

SueR
SueR Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I'm just wondering if anyone can help?
My son is my carer and he had his carers allowance stopped because he did not attend an appointment, his fault I know, but he put another claim in on 11/09/18 on line, he left it 7 weeks rang and they said it was with an assessor, he should hear soon, still nothing. He rang 5/12 and was told it had only gone to the assessor the day before. This is his only income. What should he do? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SueR Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

I do not know the answer to your question.  A member of our community or team will get in touch to give you some answers.

Understand benefit enquiries are complex and confusing. You have come to the right place for information, guidance and advice.

We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

Please ask if we can advise some one will know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • SueR
    Thank you for your support 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @SueR I am surprised his benefit has been stopped completely. However, I would advise that he telephones the DWP again and insists on a call back from the benefit centre who is actually processing his claim.  This delay in unacceptable and if he does not feel the issue is resolved when he has the call back, then he should register a complaint about the delay.  I do not know if he gets only Carers Allowance or whether he has also applied for Income Support or Universal Credit.  It would be advisable for him to check if either of these benefits are relevant to him as well.  Hope that helps.
    Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Did he claim Income Support as well as the carers allowance? I'd be very surprised if it was the carers allowance that stopped. When a person claims Income support they're sometimes asked to attend their local job centre for a work focused interview. If you don't attend this appointment there's usually a sanction and your benefit is reduced but it doesn't usually stop completely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueR
    He only claims carers allowance, 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    This is very strange because he shouldn't have gone to the job centre because of the carers allowance claim. Does he know why he needed to attend this appointment? Does he work and claim carers allowance?

As he claims carers allowance for looking after you have you recently be reassessed? This could be the reason why it's stopped.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueR
    We have just contacted the carers allowance again armed with all your info,  we told them we wanted to make an official complaint, they asked if they could ring us back I said yes. One hour later they rang us and said there will be a payment and back payment in the account tomorrow morning. Amazing!
    Thank you so much for your help, God bless 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    SueR,
    I'm glad this is all sorted out now. 
    I hope the payment and back payment turned up as promised!
    Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.