How does universal credit work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How does universal credit work?

Options
JamesHoover
JamesHoover Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on how universal credit works please. Iv never been on it before but looking at information I have found online it says that it is awarded per household and it takes into account other income coming into the house. At my house it is me my mum and my brother both my mum and my brother get esa and pip. But does this mean I won’t get a full award of universal credit because they get esa and pip? Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Other income means from a partner that you live with and pensions, wages from the work you do, if any. It doesn't include income from a relative/friend that you live with. Their money is completely separate to yours.

A single person over the age of 25 will get £317.82 per month for UC. If you claim LCW and are eventually given LCWRA after an assessment then you'll get an extra £328 per month, paid from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you handed in your first fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's also means tested and any savings/capital over £6000 will affect any money you can claim. Savings over £16000 and you won't be able to claim UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.