Carers Allowance, self-employment and higher decision makers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance, self-employment and higher decision makers

Kessarian
Kessarian Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Re waiting for Carers Allowance, I was self employed before I moved in with my mother and started caring for her. I applied for Carers Allowance and eventually got it approved. I continued self employment, working 1 week in 6 when my mother goes into respite. I was told this was ok if I provided evidence of my self employment accounts, I do not earn more than £116 a week but obviously as a self employed potter my income varies from month to month.In July I stopped receiving carers allowance. When I contacted them they said they needed more up to date accounts, though still only asked for them up to July, which seemed odd. I sent these accounts and have since heard nothing. I keep phoning and never get any clarity, last time was told a 'higher decision maker' was working on it and they would get back to me. But they never do. Is it normal to wait this long? I can't see what the issue is as as far as I can see I satisfy the guidelines to qualify. Should I complain? How long should one expect to wait? Maybe the mess of Universal credit is causing a backlog but it is frustrating not to be able to communicate with the 'higher decision maker', the ones who answer the phone try to be helpful but they don't know the back story so we keep endlessly starting again...but it never resolves!

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.