Speech development — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Speech development

Ourania
Ourania Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hi everyone

I am very relieved that i found that blog which seems a friendly helpful platform to talk about our problems and concerns. 
My problem is that i have a 29 months old baby boy which does not talk at all proper words. He will copy sounds we make and make them by himshelf but he will not talk words. We have a history of autism from daddys previous marriage with two boys also.  At the moment we attend a children centre twice per week but its still early days to see any progress. We are at a waiting list to see a speech therapist via our gp but that can take up to 12 months. 
So i am wondering which way i can help my baby during my waiting for the therapist? I fpund online that maybe a educational psychologist may help?. Please any advice would be really helpful here.
My apologies for the long post as its my first time i write about my case and i really want to answer any questions in advance  m just a desparate mommy here. Thank you everyone and god bless all.

Comments

• collegehelp16
    collegehelp16 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Just wanted to say that while I can offer you no practical advice
     I wanted to say that the very fact that you are already so aware and proactive shows you are already doing all within your power..
    Lots of us take alot longer to realise that our child maybe extra special....
    I have no doubt that you will be a wonderful mum and advocate for your son and just keep up the good work that you are already doing.. Knowledge is power.
  • Ourania
    @collegehelp16 thank u for your kind words really means a lot. It took me some time and still m working on it every day to realise that my baby maybe extra special than other kids. He is my little prince and I'll do anything i can to support him and help him. 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ourania
    Yes, our children ARE extra-special, and yours is very fortunate in having a mother like you.
    Take care,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ourania, and welcome! I've moved this post into our ask a speech and language advisor to see if our own SLT has any suggestions for you in the meantime.
  • mandy37
    mandy37 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
  • Ourania
    Thank u @JennysDad and @PippaScope and everyone who comment and help by any means. Really appreciate it.
  • Probir_Karmakar
    Probir_Karmakar Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2018
    Blessed to find a community where I can finally discuss about speech development in children
  • Probir
    Probir Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @collegehelp16 , I completely agree with you.
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hello,  I would suggest you ring the speech therapy department and ask if you can take your son to a drop-in speech therapy session or if there are any cancellation sessions.  Failing that, you could look for private speech therapy in your area.  If you want practical tips while you are waiting, there is a book called 'Small Talk' - simple ways to boost your child's speech and language development.  It's on Amazon. 
    Very best wishes to you,  Nicola

Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • Ourania
    Hi again, I went there and asked and the girl at the reception told me she does not know anything about sessions that they never do and i should wait for my appointment. She was actually surprised with my question. We are waiting already 7 months and we have at least 1 year waiting.  Unfortunately private help is not an option due to our budget ? we do our best with what we got. Thank you anyway. @NikolaLatheySLT
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    Dear Ourania,  How are you getting on?  Thanks Nicola x

Nicola Lathey
  • Ourania
    Hello @NicolaLatheySLT unfortunately we have made no progress since my last post. We saw the paedritician and she said that my baby has sociocommunication difficulties. Them we saw a speech therapist who also agreed plus difficulties with understanding and using spoken language. (My baby is still non verbal at all). At the moment we get no support from no-one as a programme we were attending through the council is finished and at the nursery they don't do one to one due they are having other children too and no reply for funding. So standing in a one way waiting for a miracle to happen and someone offer him the help he so much needs. We are really disappointed bumpy the whole system in general and our destiny. Just wish to wake up and all gone.
    Thank you for asking.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm truly sorry to hear this @Ourania. I know it's not a solution, but I'll also share this post around in case there are any parents or carers who can advise. 
  • Ourania
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    Oh Gosh.  So sorry about this.  There is a charity called Tree of Hope that offer grants for families who need some therapy support.  Try to give them a ring.  Thanks and very best wishes,  Nicola 
    Nicola Lathey
  • Ourania
    Hi everyone an update of my boys journey,  I was informed after multiple phone calls and visits at the centre that I have 150 children before my boy to be seen by the child psycologist which takes as about after Christmas; I am waiting 13 months already (forgot to say its 1 member full time and 1 part time) all this waiting and luck of staff makes me want to scream and cry but really nothing comes out, feels drained really. My boy is still non verbal, in nappies (thinking to start potty training_any tips strategies very welcome), getting bigger and prettier day by day but... we finished nursery for this year and we got accepted to a special nursery for the next year in morning place where the class is only 8 children and 2:1 , my boy may be eligible for 1:1 will see after he starts. Also they ll start the process for the EHCP (anyone here have one for their child, do what to expect;). Thank u so much and sorry for the long mail.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hii @Ourania
    I am new to Scope, but not to some of the issues you have been describing. Our family have varying degrees of Auditory Processing Disorders, (our 3 sons my wife  and me,) a listening disability or the brain having problems processing what the ears hear. And Auditory processing Disorders  (can be comorbid with one or more other sensory processing disabilities) can be part of the possible  multiple combination of issues which can combine to be part of the multiple issues that can combine to be the multiple possible underlying causes of Autism.
    Over the years I have compiled many research paper collections online at PubMed as I have tried to understand our families issues and many of the sometimes related issues, some of which could be lead to a miss diagnosis if not properly understood by both parents and medical professionals. I have listed some of my PubMed research paper collections on my Wikipedia user page, when I was participating editing some of the related Wikipedia articles a few years ago. 
    You could have a look at some of the topics say in my "Communication and Neurology" and "Invisible Disability" subsection at 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dolfrog#My_NCBI_PubMed_PMID_research_paper_collections 

I hope this helps 

Brightness