Kicked off course due to disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Kicked off course due to disability

CaraLee
CaraLee Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
edited December 2018 in Education
I recently applied for a course in childcare and education as what I intended to be my first stepping stone towards becoming a play therapist. I was told I had the best application they had received and welcomed on to the course. At this point they were fully aware of my disability and the fact I was not able to attend a placement at that time and assured that I could still do the course without placement and adjustments were agreed to meet my needs. 
I attended my first day. At the end I was taken aside and told I could not return. Here are the reasons they gave: 
. They couldn't rearrange the classroom to make it accessible for my chair.
. My impairments would be distressing for other students in the class and make group work difficult.
. They changed their mind about adjustments previously agreed and now felt they were not fair on other students if I were allowed to distance learn.
. They felt they couldn't justify having me on the course as they believe somebody with my condition (wheelchair user) couldn't work with children.
To give some context I am expected to recover from condition the only thing that may be permanent is the fact I am in a wheelchair. All I wanted was to get the education I needed to go into the field of work I aspire to when I recover and not have to put my life on hold until I have recovered... All of which they were aware of. 
These reasons seemed to be odd as surely on an adult course other students would not be distressed to see somebody in a chair who makes some unintentional moments or sounds from time to time and could understand that somebody regularly hospitalised or housebound would be allowed to work remotely. As for the last comment it seemed entirely unprofessional and caused a mental health crisis as I had built all my hopes up and had my plans and aspirations torn to shreds in one simple comment. 
Can anybody tell me if they are allowed to kick me off for these reasons? 

Comments

• AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Wow @CaraLee that is shocking, I'm so sorry you had this terrible experience. Do you belong to a student union? If you do I would get in touch.
    I've found a few links for you I really hope it helps. 
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/education/discrimination-in-education/taking-action-about-discrimination-in-education/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/about-discrimination/equality-advisory-support-service-discrimination-helpline/

Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Hi @CaraLee

this is shocking and is discrimination have you tried talking to the head of the cause I would take what your saying further as it’s not right.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh @CaraLee, I'm so sorry you had to experience this. I hope @melaniethorley or perhaps one of our employment advisors will be able to offer some input here. I really hope this can be resolved.
  • parksy
    parksy Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Sorry, how old are you. Do you not have an EHCP, which lasts until the age of 25 now
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering

I am absolutely appalled by the way you have been treated. You may not expect me to say this, but you will be better off at a different institution where you are treated with equity and respect. You were told blatant lies - nowhere does it say you cannot work with children if you are a wheelchair user.  I am so cross I can barely type this.....

if you are mentally strong enough, I would take this to your local paper to ensure nobody else experiences this shocking treatment

If it would be helpful, I could assist you in finding a suitable place to study where you will be respected and valued. My email is M.thorley@gre.ac.uk

• chockies
    chockies Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    edited January 2019
    Hi @CaraLee

I have just read your post and wanted to send some love to you.

As @pink_princess pointed out, it is discrimination!

@melaniethorley - I love the words you wrote in your post. 

Chockies.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    AAARGH!!! Ridiculous!!! I'd be threatening them with court action.
  • ScoliFibroGirl
    ScoliFibroGirl Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    No way that is so ridiculous they cannot make an offer and kick you off when would have seen you at interviews etc, it's not that hard to rearrange a classroom to accommodate a wheelchair user. They should be doing that anyway under the Disability Discrimination laws and making accessible for you.
    As for behaviours that could be distressing to others, once the students understand that it's part of your disability and part of you they would be very accommodating and with an awareness of mental health conditions, awareness of physical conditions in the press etc.
    If things are really struggling with the mental health side of it, I have been there. numerous times and turned down, the best thing to do is take some time away from that situation that happened and watch a nice movie or tv show on Netflix that isn't too triggering.  Have a chat with people/friends ask them politely not to mention the current predicament. " I don't want to talk about, so how's Paul and Chloe?" "did you watch love island?"  That way you are not feeling rubbish and overthinking everything and you can keep yourself distracted.
    There are plenty of wheelchairs that work with children., what are they expecting will happen? not a lot.

Do you have any other plans for what you are going to do? other courses you would be interested in or other colleges in your area or slightly futher away? have you considered distance learning?

Brightness