Urgent Advice: Serious Housing Issue - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Urgent Advice: Serious Housing Issue

2»

Comments

• clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Allergy testing is usually done by referral to a nearby (not necessarily closest) hospital.  There can be a long wait and the testing in my case was done at second appointment.  I don't want to add to your problems but thought it better you knew it may not be a quick result.  I hope things improve for you.
  • happy91
    happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    @clp that's fine, I will pursue for future help. Seems mad - I've known all my life have an allergy for penicillin, never had it officially tested yet I know it and people trust that. Tell people you have an allergy to bedbugs and noone gets it
  • happy91
  • clp
    I know. Even with penicillin allergies they are now asking for it to be checked as it's so difficult if you can't take it and many people (not you) confuse allergies with side effects
  • happy91
    @clp sounds like I need to ask to get that one verified too. If that's the case then they need to make it easier for people to be tested for allergies.
  • happy91
    Took penicillin when 11 and came out in big red painful patches
  • clp
    Then I would stick with allergy personally.  My son did that too at 18 months so I feel for you.  So many confuse stomach upsets etc with allergies.  Always best to tell GP why you think you are allergic and let them check it against side effects.  Make sure it's listed on your medical record too as most systems will now alert doctors and nurses if if they go to prescribe something that contains an ingredient you are allergic to.  As a patient it's not always clear what contains what!
  • happy91
    Yes. With bugs get an itching sensation so severe not able to sleep all over redness around ankles wrists face chest neck feels like something is crawling all over me. Over 7 months had patches of very dry skin on different places on body and invertigo on chest recurring. Cuts in skin all over.

• clp
    That's awful.  Have you managed to get antihistamines / cream from GP?  They do a strong antihistamine which is on prescription only which can help when over the counter ones have failed.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @happy91 just a reminder that the shelter number if free, you do not need credit or money to make the call. I hope things are resolved for you though when you return.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• happy91
    @clp yes I've tried 4 different kinds of antihistamines. They work for a while then stop working

@Geoark thank you will call them tomorrow. Where I have been staying they are housing someone who is setting off the fire alarm constantly at night. It's the fourth time it's happened with the police and fire service called many times and nothing is being done about it. Its clear that the charity that are supposed to be housing me don't care about my needs at all. This person has mental health issues but it's not an excuse. Constantly they take the **** and expect me to sleep there. Today head office staff were there and I asked them first thing in the morning what was being done about it, they said they were there so clearly something has been done.

Nothing has been done. This person is still living there and I'm expected to sleep there tonight. I have physical movement problems so everytime the fire alarm is being set off I'm getting up and down and no sleep. This charity is supposed to help vulnerable homeless women and young people - all it seems to be doing is helping the wrong people and ignoring everyone else. This person should have been thrown out but again like with the bug problem noone listens to me. 

Tomorrow I am investigating getting a mental health advocate and independent advice. I need the support to get through this. I still don't understand why I wasn't put up in a cheap hotel or BnB. They literally don't care.
  • happy91

Hi everyone, wanted to give you an update.

I've had two treatments done at my property and still bedbugs.

Consulting private companies for treatment

Had it confirmed my neighbour had them, had treatment and he has been away since I have been back.

He may still have them but no one home to know

Even if I have treatment will keep coming back if neighbours not treated

Have communicated all can with Housing Association

Getting a call back tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure my neighbour has gone and committed suicide over this. He had them constantly coming back too. Reading everywhere its the landlord that has to deal with this. Besides this trying to move to private accommodation as quickly as possible.

Brightness