Doctors, Alternative medicine and Snake oil and Pain relief — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors, Alternative medicine and Snake oil and Pain relief

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
We all have a duty of care to our selves, and your GP should always be your first port of call with any health issues. With the drain on the NHS it is not always easy to see a GP and there is a trend to cut opiates for pain relief, so where do we go from here ?

There are many Alternative and Complimentary medicines and therapies, sadly not usually available on the NHS.

Do any of these offer real alternatives ?
Common are Herbalistic, Chinese, Acupuncture, Homeopathy, Osteopathy and Chiropractic, Hypnotherapy and probably many more but are they of real help to us ?

Have you tried any with any degree of success ?

Then there are the Snake oil sales men, offering magical cures with little or no evidence that they are safe.

Have you been tempted to try any of these magic potions ?

CBD or cannabis oil has been in the news.
There is a solvent commonly available, DMSO, that claims to offer excellent pain relief but with little in the way of medical back up or licence.
MSM is a spin off suppliment of DMSO claiming to relieve arthritic pain and more. Neither of which are said to be harmful.but are they helpful.

I make no recommendation other than talk to your GP before changing or adding to your treatment

Have you come across any other pills, potions, practices or psuedo- pharmaceuticals ?
The more weird and wonderful the better

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• chockies
    chockies Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Hi ?? @CockneyRebel

I have tried a few things, though would like to say that what works for one person may not work for another, and can have adverse affects.

Many years ago I tried acupuncture and Chinese dry herbs and tinctures which was very helpful for me, and I had some incredible experiences with it.

I tried yoga, which was helpful, and also tried spiritual healing which was often triggering without my realising at the time... I believe that the triggering was for the best though, it helped me snap out of denial which I was not aware of.

I tried lots of herbal supplements, one that I am using at the moment to try and alleviate cortisol levels in my body is called cissis quadulanguris.

After I have had an episode, it feels like I have been hit by three or four busses. This is largely due to the chemicals produced that stay in the body until they leave, cissus quadulangaris does something to help that process by inhibiting something or other. 

I tried glycine supplement for IBS symptoms, it helps but the best thing for ibs for me was to eat a correct diet, very difficult to do now on limited funds.

Oil pulling for wellbeing, swishing oil around the mouth for 20 mins per day.

Apparently the most bacteria filled part of the body is the mouth and studies have shown poor dental health and dental problems linking to ill health and detrimental psychological changes. 

I tried chiropractic more recently but could not afford to keep it up with my decline in ability to work this year, it did make a difference to my neck though surprisingly opened up emotional issues that I had not dealt with in the past.

I have probably not recalled everything I have tried here, though if I remember anything will add it in.

I feel blessed that I was in a position to try different things.

GP are fantastic, but some of the stuff didn’t work and I wanted to try anything to improve my situation, so long as I felt safe and could afford it.

Chockies.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @CockneyRebel    This is becoming evident as if your like myself. Looking at the web pages new aspects of pain relief and looking at alternatives.

We have had much debate and view and opinion.

Also what is changing is the need to look at alternatives. The constant pressure of NHS and the Doctors.

The whole herbalist market and the big industry around it.

When medication is not working, the Doctors jammed packed surgery. The thoughts do turn to how can I help myself.

I am always consulting my Doctor on using herbs, spices for anxiety. I understand may not be for every one but since using what I need.

Do find symptoms alleviating . Not cured but easing.

Have got interested in the whole aspect of helping my self. Especially changes to diet, lifestyle and looking at everything connected.

Do I pay a high price over counter medicines for colds, or other related symptoms.  Or do I try something that maybe just plain common sense.

As you have seen on the web pages most Doctors and Pharmacies now advocate common sense for colds, flu and associated illness.

Do you need to visit the GP if understanding your self better.

One time in my life met a lot of people from various different communities who are from Ethnic backgrounds.  You talk to them use their own medicine and cultures to heal thy self.

One was told by them often had to walk days to reach a Doctor if needed.  In their own country.

So have to look at alternatives, herbal medicine use of spices, oils.  Fruits and vegetables help a lot as well.

So much we all need to learn in the Western world.

I am still learning, started a while ago doing qualifications and using them to my own ends and lifestyle changes.

Always a pleasure to talk to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CockneyRebel    This is becoming evident as if your like myself. Looking at the web pages new aspects of pain relief and looking at alternatives.

We have had much debate and view and opinion.

Also what is changing is the need to look at alternatives. The constant pressure of NHS and the Doctors.

The whole herbalist market and the big industry around it.

When medication is not working, the Doctors jammed packed surgery. The thoughts do turn to how can I help myself.

I am always consulting my Doctor on using herbs, spices for anxiety. I understand may not be for every one but since using what I need.

Do find symptoms alleviating . Not cured but easing.

Have got interested in the whole aspect of helping my self. Especially changes to diet, lifestyle and looking at everything connected.

Do I pay a high price over counter medicines for colds, or other related symptoms.  Or do I try something that maybe just plain common sense.

As you have seen on the web pages most Doctors and Pharmacies now advocate common sense for colds, flu and associated illness.

Do you need to visit the GP if understanding your self better.

One time in my life met a lot of people from various different communities who are from Ethnic backgrounds.  You talk to them use their own medicine and cultures to heal thy self.

One was told by them often had to walk days to reach a Doctor if needed.  In their own country.

So have to look at alternatives, herbal medicine use of spices, oils.  Fruits and vegetables help a lot as well.

So much we all need to learn in the Western world.

I am still learning, started a while ago doing qualifications and using them to my own ends and lifestyle changes.

Always a pleasure to talk to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Herbalistic, Chinese, Ayurvedic: Who knows? I have a couple of friends who swear by one or more of these. There's no proof that they do any good. I haven't bothered. Important: in the US tests have shown that a very large % of herbal supplements don't actually contain any of the herb they're supposed to contain. Don't know about the UK.

Homeopathy is complete snake oil, rubbish, quack quack quack. The amount that their solutions are diluted means that there are between 0 and 1 molecule of the active ingredient in any homeopathic medicine. Their claim that the water "remembers" the active ingredient is ridiculous. Don't waste your money. 

Osteopaths are supposedly equivalent to doctors in the US, but I don't know if that's the case in the UK. Some osteos seem to subscribe to some the occasional bit of pseudoscientific quackery, but then so do some doctors! That said, I've seen 3 osteopaths over the years (2 in US, 1 in UK), and all 3 were extremely professional, knowledgeable, and helpful. I'd suggest getting a recommendation if you want to see one.

Chiropractors are quacks. That said, I saw one on the recommendation of a friend, and he was great. It turns out that he was also a trained massage therapist, tho. He didn't fix me (not possible), but he helped me to feel better every week. When I stopped seeing him I went right back to how I'd been before, though.

Acupuncture seems nuts to me, but I haven't investigated it. Many people say it helps with pain. I was treated by an acupuncturist friend once when we were way out in the wilderness and I had a kidney infection (why not?). I was shocked to find that my fever went down, as did my pain and fatigue, and it lasted several hours. I have no idea what to say about that.

Hypnotherapy... No idea.

I used to take glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM supplements. At the time (10 years ago) my partner, who had a clinical doctorate in physiotherapy, said that there was no proof they worked, but no proof they didn't, and they don't cause any harm. Nowadays I can't afford them.

I find CBD helpful, although it doesn't help with pain. It seems to make my spasms less frequent, though.
  • chockies
    Hey @thespiceman is that why you have this username because of your use of herbs and spices? 

I like it! 

Additionally, I have had good results with balancing the hormones with a sage tea, and find a sense of wellbeing from nettle tea... though you have to watch out for the toilet with that one ?.

I found tea powerful, and have to really limit the intake & sense what to drink rather that drink them just for taste or refreshment. 

Tea taught me in many ways. It has helped me heal thy self.

Herbs and spice are are wonderful things in general, I love the cooking smells that they generate.

@Waylay I’m with you on the homeopathy, forgot about that one. I agreed to be a case study for someone years ago and it just didn’t feel right, so left it behind.

I loved reading about your experiences, what is cbd? I have not heard of this one.

Ooh, reflexology, any one tried this one? I was also a case study for this years ago, and went on to get it once or twice too with very interesting results.

Chockies.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Not legal, but a good dope smoke helps with relaxing to sleep, and my psychiatrist even knows I smoke it and he said I don't blame you.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• thespiceman
    Hello @chockies Good evening my user name is because of my first time visit to a well known store.

Because buying herbs and spices . Your the spiceman.the shop manager uttered.  Name stuck.

In my experience having been interested in of course using them for cooking. Realised they have other medicinal properties.

After addiction needed and had several issues with over the counter medicines.

Need to find answer and solve problems to not taking over the counter medicine if this or that is not working.

Herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years. In the early medieval period. Abbeys and Monasteries had herbal gardens..  The use of Abbey and the Monasteries was the place to go to heal and get well.

Understanding also the Oriental medicine and the medicine of Asia and Africa .

Because we all of us are seeking answers that modern medicine can not and do not understand.

The initial use of spices and herbs a plethora of concoctions, recipe books and the old age adages of time . People are looking towards all of this.

We know those have gone into studying and examining these herbs and spices and any thing to use to given time to heal.  Know that they are being used constantly.

Look at the Amazon rainforest most of the basis of our own medicine cabinet comes from bushes, trees and plants.  Made into drugs we buy over the counter.

Add to that those in the media and on TV advocates of using the plants, bushes around to use to heal. Ray Mears is one.  His programmes fascinate me.

Understand how you body works and how to heal is a endless source of debate and often argument.

There are so many unanswered questions we do not know. By speaking to my Doctor and doing my research I have to be aware of what works for me.

Pleasure to talk to you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • chockies
    edited January 2019
    Good evening @thespiceman and thank you I hope that you are well this evening.

I really like how how you got your name, it’s perfect!

Your post is very interesting to me. I feel like you have done some real home work in life, with overtime, and I respect you for taking the steps to help yourself after addiction, I salute you.

In my experience, doctors and medications were often not any sort of resolution for me, though everyone has to be aware of the quack false stuff in the alternative world that is just to line someone’s pockets, etc.

I think the word is that one would have to be ‘discerning’.

Chockies
  • laceypeach
    laceypeach Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hello there,
    I have been on multiple pain medications of varying opioid based tablets and pain patches to trialling a spinal cord stimulator but I still struggle with pain. I too have been searching for something else to help and have recently decided to try CBD edibles. I have started on 10mg a day it has been 3 days so far, so still early days but I don't feel anything yet
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I am currently trying hemp oil capsules . I feel better on them than off them. I'm not sure about cbd oil as I'm not knowledgeable about it. Isit the next step for me? Who knows. I meditate using binaural beats for pain relief which helps me sometimes too. Try it they are on YouTube 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    I have found osteopathy very effective for bulging discs in my back and for calf cramps.  And 5% CBD oil for calf cramps - massaged in, not taken orally.

Brightness