If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Please be aware of a HMRC scam

Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 5,288Community champion Disability Gamechanger
My mum has just had a bogus phone call from "HMRC" to say that someone would be coming to the house to arrest her. However, if she was to pay a payment of £500 then they would only come round to discuss payment options.

I urged mum to phone the police, she was absolutely distraught, panicking like anyone would. 

The policewoman was lovely and assured it is a scam.

I just wanted to make everyone aware to prevent any anxiety and that it is 100% a scam.
You're a fighter. Look at everything you've overcome. Don't give up now!

Replies

• clpclp Posts: 39Member Connected
    They are absolutely horrible people who do this - most people realise it for the scam it is but for the vulnerable it's very threatening.  Hope your Mum recovers quickly from the experience.
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 5,288Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you, shes still really shaken by it, I'm so angry at this bloke not only upsetting and scaring my mum but myn9 year old niece too. The thought of seeing her nanny get arrested petrified her.
  • clpclp Posts: 39Member Connected
    And it's not that if he's caught he'll spend long in prison.  Quite probably not even in this country. 

It may be worth letting your nieces scgool know as they could do a session for all children but also watch for signs of stress.

Have you thought of getting her one of those phones that only allows certain calls through?  Might help her regain some confidence just make sure you put your GP number in as acceptable.

Our neighbour came round a few years back "Microsoft" needed him to do a few things on his computer and he wasn't sure how so was asking for our help.  We said put the phone down and then ran checks for him.  It's sad that you have to be so suspicious these days.  If someone came round with a pie to welcoming me me to the neighborhood I'm not sure whether I'd let them in....
    I will talk with my sisters boyfriend has he is good with techno,guy so might be able to download an app or something to detect numbers which are a scam.

That is a really good idea, I will have a chat with my sister, thank you :)
  • MisscleoMisscleo Posts: 570Member Pioneering
    Many thanks for letting people know about this.

I have a whistle next to my phone for these kind of calls
    Iv heard them jump on the other end of the phone 
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 801Member Pioneering
    edited January 6
    As a side You don't need to be a tech or no much about computers or need an application to check phone numbers.

Just put the numbers you want to check or track in google, and most results will show you where the call came from.

I don't trust anyone that comes to my front door or people on the phone only people I know all the rest are blocked.

The Microsoft scam has bee around for years and based out of the UK as are many of the scams.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

"This must not be allowed to happen"

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has published a contract notice announcing its plans for a £3.1billion revamp of heath checks for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and other benefits.

PIP is not ESA or even UC, having one assessment for those benefits is morally wrong to treat them as ONE size fits all with that one assessment.

Latest update 9th May 2019

DWP confirms single assessment plans, despite Tomlinson confusion

The government has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with plans to test how it might be able to merge two disability benefit assessments into one, despite comments from a minister that appeared to suggest that no such plans were being discussed.

But DWP has now made it clear to Disability News Service that testing of a single assessment will be going ahead.

@Misscleo you're welcome, I just really didn't want anyone else experiencing the sheer panic like my mum did.

@Government_needs_reform Thank you :)
Sign in or join us to comment.