Please be aware of a HMRC scam — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please be aware of a HMRC scam

Ami2301
Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
My mum has just had a bogus phone call from "HMRC" to say that someone would be coming to the house to arrest her. However, if she was to pay a payment of £500 then they would only come round to discuss payment options.

I urged mum to phone the police, she was absolutely distraught, panicking like anyone would. 

The policewoman was lovely and assured it is a scam.

I just wanted to make everyone aware to prevent any anxiety and that it is 100% a scam.
Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Comments

• clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    They are absolutely horrible people who do this - most people realise it for the scam it is but for the vulnerable it's very threatening.  Hope your Mum recovers quickly from the experience.
  • Ami2301
    Thank you, shes still really shaken by it, I'm so angry at this bloke not only upsetting and scaring my mum but myn9 year old niece too. The thought of seeing her nanny get arrested petrified her.
  • clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    And it's not that if he's caught he'll spend long in prison.  Quite probably not even in this country. 

It may be worth letting your nieces scgool know as they could do a session for all children but also watch for signs of stress.

Have you thought of getting her one of those phones that only allows certain calls through?  Might help her regain some confidence just make sure you put your GP number in as acceptable.

Our neighbour came round a few years back "Microsoft" needed him to do a few things on his computer and he wasn't sure how so was asking for our help.  We said put the phone down and then ran checks for him.  It's sad that you have to be so suspicious these days.  If someone came round with a pie to welcoming me me to the neighborhood I'm not sure whether I'd let them in....
  • Ami2301
    I will talk with my sisters boyfriend has he is good with techno,guy so might be able to download an app or something to detect numbers which are a scam.

That is a really good idea, I will have a chat with my sister, thank you :)
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Many thanks for letting people know about this.

I have a whistle next to my phone for these kind of calls
    Iv heard them jump on the other end of the phone 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited January 2019
    As a side You don't need to be a tech or no much about computers or need an application to check phone numbers.

Just put the numbers you want to check or track in google, and most results will show you where the call came from.

I don't trust anyone that comes to my front door or people on the phone only people I know all the rest are blocked.

The Microsoft scam has bee around for years and based out of the UK as are many of the scams.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Ami2301
    @Misscleo you're welcome, I just really didn't want anyone else experiencing the sheer panic like my mum did.

@Government_needs_reform Thank you :)

Brightness