Is there a cure? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a cure?

Gmassey
Gmassey Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I am aware that there is treatment for Aspergers Syndrome, though I've had therapy and drugs in the past, which have not helped.

But I would be interested in finding out whether there are cures, because I would rather be like other NT people and get on with life more or less than to carry on suffering like this with this condition and its cause (s) and effects.

Of course, the ultimate cure for all ailments is suicide. I don't think that the panacea of knowledge will help here, but how would I go about doing that and post-poning the suicide?

If there was a cure I would take it and I think I am not alone in that.

And treatment? Drugs, talking therapies? They don't work for everyone and, according to clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson, may make things worse. I think it did in my case.

One other option, or another possible way to get a cure, is to individualise the condition and that means draw the vitality out of the condition, by denying that I have it, and going back to the diagnostic clinician and telling them that they got it wrong, and then excise the whole condition and go about as before just thinking that I am stupid. So where would that leave me? Is it possible to yank myself out of it in this way? Is thinking that I'm stupid and therefore "need to buck up my ideas and possibly bend over to receive a good old rocket up.." better than thinking I have a neurological condition that needs to be addressed, but cannot be addressed?

Comments

• Gmassey
    I will ammend the above post by clarifying that denial and excision as a whole is not a cure, but a treatment that could lead to a cure.
  • JC76
    JC76 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    You can not cure a lifelong neurological condition but you can adapt and find coping strategies that will help you in daily life. Suicide is never an option, it's probably best you seek professional help regarding those thoughts. There is nothing wrong with being autistic or being different. 
  • Gmassey
    JC76 said:
    You can not cure a lifelong neurological condition but you can adapt and find coping strategies that will help you in daily life. Suicide is never an option, it's probably best you seek professional help regarding those thoughts. There is nothing wrong with being autistic or being different. 
    So apart from (in my experience at least) useless talking therapies and useless anti-depressants, what treatments are available? I disagree that there is no cure. There must be and I've already outlined two personal cures: suicide (the ultimate cure) and excision (treatment from denial). Suicide is an option because it may be done as a logical choice. It's not something you do on a whim, it's a very personal and deep decision to end suffering. What happens If I cannot cope, then the option is my two cures, unless there is some other treatment I have not tried, or unless there is some other cure that I don't know about. Lastly, if it is a neurological condition that cannot be cured, then it can be treated. So what treatments are available, and if none of those work then the only other options are my two personal options. Of course there is nothing wrong with being autistic from your's or someone else's point of view, but from my point of view it is wrong because I didn't ask for it and there is no help for it, only coping and treatments. The coping is just prolonging the suffering and the treatments just make it worse.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Good morning @Gmassey
    I am sorry to read about your struggles and I am concerned about your discussions around suicide. I think it may help you to talk about these feelings with someone who is trained in this sort of support.

You can speak to the Samaritans on 116 123 or email them on jo@samaritans.org - they arent there to judge but to offer support and to listen.  Have you spoken to your doctor about these feelings?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Gmassey
    Sam_Scope said:
    Good morning @Gmassey
    I am sorry to read about your struggles and I am concerned about your discussions around suicide. I think it may help you to talk about these feelings with someone who is trained in this sort of support.

You can speak to the Samaritans on 116 123 or email them on jo@samaritans.org - they arent there to judge but to offer support and to listen.  Have you spoken to your doctor about these feelings?
    Yeah I have spoke to my doctor. He prescribed me citalopram and CBT, both of which didn't work and probably made things worse.

Brightness