Why have I got to go for assessment when they know I am going ahead with the operation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have I got to go for assessment when they know I am going ahead with the operation?

Options
mia100max
mia100max Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi, 
I've been called for an esa assessment.at the end of this month. I'm in the wrag group. I failed my last assessment and it went to tribunal  which I won & the doctor there said I wasn't to be reassessed for 18 months. That time is now up. I filled in the form they sent me last month regarding my assessment & I put on it that I have no alternative but to go for the operation my back consultant has recommended as my spinal stenosis is worsening. It's a major operation with a 3 month recovery period. Why have I got to go for a f2f assessment when they know I am going ahead with the operation?
Thanks for any advice. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    mia100max  As you clearly are aware, the work capability assessment is the test used by the DWP to decide a claimant is entitled to continue to get ESA, and this assessment is repeated at intervals throughout a claim.  There are some situations in which claimants are "treated" as passing the work capability assessment.  Unfortunately waiting for an operation is not a situation where the DWP would simply "treat" you as passing the assessment, they will want to follow the assessment procedure.  Recovering from treatment as a hospital in-patient is a situation where you can be "treated" as having limited capability for work so could get ESA.  So at present, unfortunately you will need to participate in the assessment, although once you have had the operation and are recovering, this should enable you to pass the test without a face to face assessment.  Best wishes for your op and onward recovery.
    Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    @mia100max I suppose it could be referred to as 'jumping through the hoops'. You have come up on the system as needing to be assessed once more and they have no recent  knowledge of your capabilities.  On the positive side once you have been assessed this time they will probably leave you alone for another 18 months. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.