Harassment from downstairs neighbour — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Harassment from downstairs neighbour

TeddyB22
TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
edited January 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
I have been undergoing intimidation and harassment for over a year now. I live in an upstairs apartment where the floorboards creak something awful. My neighbour downstairs threatened me and accused me of dropping furniture cause cracks in the ceiling. He says he hasn't slept in 2 years. 
I'm not an unreasonable person and I apologised. Apart from hovering above the floor what can I do?
I already suffer from an anxiety problem and hate confrontation  This grumpy ******* is now banging the ceiling every morning between 3 n 6am.
He reported me to the landlord and now I fear they will take his word for it and charge me for damage to the ceiling even though this has been going on since I moved in. I was sympathetic to the guy bc I too knew what is is like to not get any sleep. But I don't take it out on anyone else. This is not the first time he's bullied a tenant out. The last one was an alcoholic with a down syndrome son.
I've been waiting on the Housing Executive to find me somewhere. They say they won't put me into a 3 bedroom or 2 bedroom cause I'm single. I should demand they do something  Maybe pay me more HB so I can get out of here! I really feel frightened and desparate. I think something terrible is going to come of this.
Can anyone help?
TeddyB. 

Comments

• cathie
    cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Firstly record everything log it time s things said ask a witness to be present report this to police council or land lord   this is bulling and is wrong no one should feel this  .ask noise control to attend your building without even  your knowledge random visits to prove its not you doing wrong aim for thicker carpet in your walking zone  can't do much more if he bangs on celling tape it call police .record him doing these thing more evidence the better can't afford to install camera s Argos do car camera cost between 20 @40 pound attach to front window my mate just experienced this year  of hell done as I said neighbour being done for bulling and harassment made my mate more mentally I'll  will all stop now.. Mate been there six years lady upstair s only a year...
    Only me .. cathie..
  • cathie
    Failing all that the housing the church d w p have to give you deposit and a month up front may have to pay it back. But at least you can get peace of mind go c a b for advice if you chose the latter one if not up for confrontation may be better for you.. Call d w p  ask them your entitlements concerning deposit rent upfront payment s
    Only me .. cathie..
  • cathie
    Hope this help s in some way..
    Only me .. cathie..
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear this @TeddyB22, that sounds really frustrating.

Whilst I'm afraid I'm not sure how best to advise on this myself, you've had some great advice from @cathie. There are also some helpful links and information on this gov.uk page on resolving neighbour disputes. In terms of HB, I wonder whether contacting Shelter would be worthwhile?
  • TeddyB22
    Hi. Thanks for replying. 
    My bike was stole last night from right outside my door, I'm upstairs in a locked gated Community. I know it was him bc I heard him coming and going and I didn't look out because I would have had to walk to the window on creaky floorboards thus waking him up. I'm thinking of his welfare while he is stealing my bike.
    I'm not letting it go. Karma is a ****.
    Can't prove a thing. He'll just say someone left it open. 
  • TeddyB22
    cathie said:
    Firstly record everything log it time s things said ask a witness to be present report this to police council or land lord   this is bulling and is wrong no one should feel this  .ask noise control to attend your building without even  your knowledge random visits to prove its not you doing wrong aim for thicker carpet in your walking zone  can't do much more if he bangs on celling tape it call police .record him doing these thing more evidence the better can't afford to install camera s Argos do car camera cost between 20 @40 pound attach to front window my mate just experienced this year  of hell done as I said neighbour being done for bulling and harassment made my mate more mentally I'll  will all stop now.. Mate been there six years lady upstair s only a year...
    Thanks Cathie. I'm waiting on the police taking a statement but it's only a bike. I don't care about the bike it's knowing someone would do that. I'm tiptoeing around with Blu Tooth headphones so he can't hear the TV. Only reason I didn't investigate the noise last night bc I didn't want to wake him up downstairs.
    Who else could it be? It's a locked apartment block. We have no fence bc kids pulled it down so my bike was worse open for all to see (chained to clothes line pole). 
    I moved it upstairs bc they could have done anything to it. Didn't move it in to the flat bc no room. 

• TeddyB22
    cathie said:
    Hope this help s in some way..
    I have terrible memories of dwp. Because they had me on the wrong esa for years I never got a bean off them . When I found myself homeless they asked me did I have a coat. I said yes and they said I could use that as a blanket and sleep in friends floors. 10 yrs they had me on the wrong benefits. I had to borrow from unscrupulous people one of which charged me 500% in interest. Got no help with deposit of month up front  Now because this guy has said I dropped furniture causeing the structural damage I waiting on them blaming me and taking me deposit and money up front. Just in this idiots lies.
    Get this he told me it only happens around 12am to 6am. I'm asleep then. And if there is structural damage wouldn't it creak all day? And what about when I was in hospital for biopsies? On holidays? Was it my ghost?
    Police will find no CCTV, these flats are for people who are in financial hardship.
    Surely I have a case for claiming from the landlord who provided a gated and locked environment. It's pretty obvious whoever did it did it from inside. He's the only neighbour I've had problems with. A bin was stolen once and said I should have seen what happens as I dont work and have nothing to do all day. I'm on the sick  I have anxiety and paranoia. I don't have to watch peoples property. 
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Hold on tho. Hes banging at u between 3am and 6am. How could you be annoying him at that time. Are you jot asleep yourself. What is he hearing? Long as your not hoovering or playing music at that time?
  • cathie
    Maybe he.s not very well  mental health issue s  or possibly looking for a move riding on ur back out of there been known  dont allow this to just get worse cover your self report  to land.lord every time also in writing  have a word with police just to inform them of situation.  Even if not to do any thing other than  make it known your just covering your self incase it gets to much or explodes get officers name time make formal  complaint make sure he writes report out  as for keeping your depoisit no against the law there's a number for that should you need it ask Me I'll get IT for you ..do you have surport worker  .if  so have a word  not only for health but another person you report it to .keep your kool blank him if he starts .don't worry ..about  it to much you have done no wrong..good luck 
    Only me .. cathie..
  • TeddyB22
    Police were round this morning. I clearly told them to come after 5 when everyone is home from work. I asked the Polish girl & her boyfriend did they notice it when they were going to work. They just looked at each other and shook their heads. Didn't want to know.
    The other two brothers who live together downstairs are constantly drunk, I get on OK with them, even gave them a 24in telly I had spare. You never know anyone but my eyes are on the psycho below. 
    The housing phoned and despite getting my hopes up about a move it was just a check up. I've told them if something happens to me my MP & Doctor will won't to know what they did to help rehomed me. 

• TeddyB22
    ricky1040 said:
    Hold on tho. Hes banging at u between 3am and 6am. How could you be annoying him at that time. Are you jot asleep yourself. What is he hearing? Long as your not hoovering or playing music at that time?
    Exactly. He says he wakes up 6 times a night. I wonder has he investigated the possibility he has a sleep problem maybe sleep aponea. 
    He's experienced at this game. The landlord who keep in constant touch weeing answer, we'll see if they do when their rent doesn't get paid this month.

Brightness