January Blues: are you worried about returning to work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

January Blues: are you worried about returning to work?

Pippa_Alumni
Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2019 in Coffee lounge

It’s January, the beginning of a brand new year, but it can be a difficult month for many disabled people. 

Whether it’s work, school or university, does the prospect of heading back fill you with anxiety or fear?

What are the elements that make us feel this way?

• Do you get worried about the amount of work you’ll be facing?
  • Do you feel stressed about seeing your colleagues again?
  • Is your anxiety eased once you get the first day back out the way? 

What is it that worries you when heading back in the new year? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Great question @Pippa_Scope !
    When I was younger, heading back to life in January always felt a bit daunting, there is so much emphasis put on the new start, a new you etc and it can feel a bit much.
    I have to say that nowadays I actually look forward to getting back to work and a bit of normality in January, two weeks of christmas festivities, everyone being off school and work and all that jazz is quite enough for me and I am pleased that my kids are back at school today and my husband is back to work! It will be good to get back into a routine. :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • prezzeruk360
    prezzeruk360 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, ive been off work for over a year with a long term bad back, which very long story short, has resulted in me having to have a spinal fusion in my lumbar spine.
    I still have 2 and a half months off for recovery and healing, but i may require more time off still.
    Ive been advised not to return to my job, working in a double glazing factory.
    So at 48 years old iam facing the prospect of finding a new job, and with all my back issues hanging over me, who in their right mind would hire a middle aged man with a bad back??
    I still cant sit or be on my feet for long periods of time, so unless i get a job as a bed tester, i dont know wat iam gonna do!
    As of yet i havnt told my work i wont be returning, after 18 years there, it just feels wrong to not go back!
    Ive been sending them my sicknotes, iam on pip and esa, which is another story in itself, so financially we are just managing, which takes some worry off, but as the time comes closer to when i will be found fit for work, i dont know wat iam going to do, and the worry from that is starting to mount.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @prezzeruk360, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your back issues. It sounds like it's a daunting time for you, however there may be alternatives out there for you to think about.

If you do want to return to your current work, perhaps you could speak to your manager about an adapted role or reasonable adjustments? However, if it's out of the question or a threat to your wellbeing, you may be interested in Scope's Support to Work service to help find something more suitable for you. Do keep us updated, and wishing you all the best for your remaining recovery time!

Brightness