Pension and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension and benefits

Bex1487
Bex1487 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello 

My Dad is about to reach state pension age (65), although we have only just applied for his pension as we didn't know that we had to apply 4 months ago so now have to wait until may.  I spoke with citizens advice last night and they said as he is already on PIP it wont stop (we were told it would be stopping).  I have just read that his ESA will be stopping is this correct? please help we don't know where we are turning or what to do. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As he's already claiming PIP then this continues for as long as he qualifies.

ESA will stop when he reaches state pension age because ESA is a working age benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bex1487
    Citizens advice said nothing about the ESA stopping when i spoke to them yesterday. 

Is there anything else we can claim instead?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    State pension and possibly pension credit (depending on household income), PIP, housing benefit (if renting) and council tax reduction. ESA won't be payable because it's a working age benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bex1487
    we didnt know we had to apply for the state pension 4 months before his birthday so now have to wait the 4 months. we already have a council tax reduction, the PIP and have looked at the pension credit but that wont start until his pension starts.
  • poppy123456
    His ESA will automatically stop when he reaches state pension age.

He needs to look at claiming pension credit. You don't need to be claiming state pension to receive this.

• Bex1487
    OK thank you Poppy the date we can claim pension credit from is the same is as his state pension date.  Its the time at the moment in between
  • poppy123456
    I'm very surprised he had to apply, normally when you're receiving certain benefits you don't need to apply because it's automatically paid.

He doesn't need to be claiming state pension to claim pension credit, he just needs to be state pension age. They will look at his savings/capital and household income.

• Bex1487
    Yeah all were getting is PIP and ESA and muns carers allowance but he was getting a wage still from work as they medically reireted him. Maybe thats why we had to apply.

I did one of the pension credit checks online and they said they date he could get them from was may 6th the same date as his pension. 

Its too confusing why cant things just stay as they are. Me and my mum are really upset we have a hoilday booked and now we might not be going. 
  • poppy123456
    May 6th would be the date he reaches 65 and you don't have to be claiming state pension to claim pension credit, as i previously advised.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm very surprised he had to apply, normally when you're receiving certain benefits you don't need to apply because it's automatically paid.

He doesn't need to be claiming state pension to claim pension credit, he just needs to be state pension age. They will look at his savings/capital and household income.

I had to claim mine 5 years ago as did my wife 15 years ago - no claim - no state pension.
    Even  though being on ESA will automatically stop at 65 it isn't automatic that the State Pension would kick in.
    Yes they could claim Pension Credit but it could be affected depending on his wife's age. I understand it to be the case that both husband and wife have to be over pensionable age now if not don't they have to claim UC instead until that age is reached?
    Even if they did and were able to make a claim the Pension Service more than likely will hold off paying it until the correct amount of State Pension is known and in payment. Hence why you should claim the pension at least 4 months early and at the same time make an advance claim for Pension Credit

• Bex1487
    Dad turns 65 a week tomorrow yet his pension as we have only just applied for it wont start until may. Yet his ESA stops next week. I will apply for the pension credit too but again that starts in may so all we have to live off is PIP and carers allowance. Mum is 61 will that make a differeance?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    Pension credit can be claimed by both couples because the oldest person is pension age but a claim for this will more than likely take months rather than weeks.

It won't be possible to claim universal credit because this is a means tested benefit and they would need to claim as a couple. Those of pension age can't claim UC because it's a working age benefit.

State pension and pension credit are their only option and i'm afraid there won't be anything else they can claim in the meantime.

• Bex1487
    Ok Poppy thanks
  • Bex1487
    Can we apply for the disability premiums or is that only with ESA? been reading up on the gov site buts confusing.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    Bex1487 said:
    Can we apply for the disability premiums or is that only with ESA? been reading up on the gov site buts confusing.
    Severe disability premium is payable on top of pension credit but there's criteria to this. You must be claiming Daily living PIP. DLA/mid high rate care or attendance allowance. No one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone, or be classed as living alone. As your dad lives with yourself and your mum then to qualify for the SDP you would all need to be claiming one of the disability benefits i mentioned here.
  • Bex1487
    Ok well that one wont help us then
  • poppy123456
    Do they claim housing benefit?
  • Bex1487
    its owned out right the mortage is all paid off

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.