Fed up of other people's advice! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fed up of other people's advice!

Options
ellyphant
ellyphant Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello,
I'm a uni student and going through exams at the moment. My disabilities make exam time very stressful and more difficult, and I receive reasonable adjustments for these (extra time, extenuating circumstances meaning I can resit without penalisation). I'm having a really difficult time at the minute, and when I've tried to just let off stream about exams (we all need a moan sometimes), my non-disabled housemates say "oh stop moaning you get extra time/can resit", or worse still propose "advice". One has gone so far as to diagnose me (based on absolutely nothing, certainly not realising that maybe I or even all the doctors and qualified professionals I've seen over the past 9 years may have a better idea), and I'm absolutely fed up. :s I just want to feel like I can moan without it being dismissed as me somehow having it easy, nor getting asked "have you tried paracetomol?" or some other equally useless suggestion. The "friend" who "diagnosed" me doesn't see anything wrong with it or understand why I'm upset, and the whole situation has made me so angry that I don't feel like I can discuss it in a productive way. I don't think it's fair I should have to spend time and energy educating them on why I'm upset and why that's not an appropriate way to talk to disabled people, because I barely have the time and energy to be functioning at all.

Anyone got any tips of how to stop "friendly advice" like this? Or how to tell someone to politely **** off?

Thanks in advance  <3 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ellyphant   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what you are going through.

I am one of the team of community champions who advise and help new members who join.

Understand if your having some issues with some one. I know exams for every one who does them are stressful and full of anxiety.

May I suggest write that person a letter explaining the reasons why. You need to add in your own words. Be polite and just say in a tactful way.

Be aware if you need space and time to adjust to the situation that is causing you the problems . Your exams finds some ways to let off steam.

Could be relaxation techniques, yoga or meditation.

Speak to those concerns if not wishing to write letter asking for a meeting.  Those concerned. Say how you feel by writing it down and informing them.

I have done this myself several times .

Other suggestions speak  to some one in welfare support in your University about this. Something to look at . Need to talk about this.

I hope this helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed