Won pip appeal, benefits I need help with — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Won pip appeal, benefits I need help with

Options
davidstill1973
davidstill1973 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I won my pip appeal after 18months for standard living. I pay about 17 pound for my spare bedroom and gave done since I took bungalow on. I also paid spare room at previous address even though I had people stay when needed for my care when needed in any way needed. Can I now have help with spare bedroom tax I am paying and will it be backdated to start of claim for my pip. Also do I have help with my council tax in same circumstances. Thankyou

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi,

Being entitled to PIP doesn't exclude you from the bedroom tax. When living in social housing you can't claim anymore housing benefit than your circumstances entitle you to. You can contact your local council and apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP) you'll need to fill out a form for this. In some circumstances a bedroom can be given if an overnight carer is needed, but it will depend how often the care is needed.

For your council tax then all local councils have their own criteria. If you live alone you'll receive a 25% discount. Most people have to pay a little each month towards their council tax now, even those claiming benefits. You can't claim anymore than the maximum amount for your circumstances and a PIP award won't entitle you to more CTR.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness