Re working tax credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re working tax credit

geeforce
geeforce Community member Posts: 29 Connected
hi there I was self employed but was signed off sick  before that I was getting working tax credit but I’ve been put in universal credit but the working tax credit payments stoped 
i was just wondering if was still intilted to this payment for 28 weeks is this right or wrong 
kind regards 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't claim working tax credits and UC. As you claimed UC then working tax credits has now stopped, which is correct. UC has replaced 6 benefits, tax credits, JSA, ESA, Income Support and housing benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • geeforce
    Thank you very much 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Unfairness awful but try to claim Limited capability for work that's almost as much 
  • kami24
    I'm not sure if I should work or not in future because I hate 'doing nothing' and appearing to others that I do nothing it's no good for mental health but is anybody with a disability going to even try to work now if they get even less than they would have done on working tax credits???? There is no incentive and this targets the most vulnerable 
  • geeforce
    The problem was I was working feeling ill but just got worst where I’m not fit to I was claiming WTC but when I was signed off work had to go over to UC so my WTC stopped I claim for me and my wife she doesn’t work cos she’s disabled and gets pip 
  • kami24
    I get pip myself but if you were feeling ill working then you need to claim the disability component on UC they've just changed the names to confuse everyone. You can go to a work capability assessment even if you aren't claiming pip yourself.
  • kami24
    I'm probably going to work myself even though I have mental issues but I'm just so sick of the awful staff at jobseekers and they keep messing my money up so basically I'm forced into working (what they want) even though I'm not healthy enough to mentally or emotionally 
  • kami24
    Is she getting higher rate pip? Are you ill enough to claim pip yourself? If you both claim pip you can go on income support still I think because you would be exempt from any changes worth looking into 
  • geeforce
    I’m signed off with depression anxiety and post trumatric stress and complications of type2 diabetes my wife gets high rate mobility and middle rate care all I get is basic uc of 500 my claim only started 21 nov 
  • kami24
    Claim pip if I were you or try. Definitely go to a health assessment for lcwra
    Limited capability for work related activity! It can be up to 328.00 more a month 
  • geeforce
    Thanks kami24 for your advice thank you 
  • poppy123456
    To be able to claim LCW then you'll need sick/fit notes from your GP and you'll need evidence to support your claim, once they refer you for a work capability assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • geeforce
    Thanks poppy12345 I’m new to all this how long does your basic money on uc go on for is it so many weeks before you have medical assessment I’ve just sent a 24 page medical form back to them 
  • poppy123456
    There's no time scales for this. It all depends on back log in your area. Expect a face to face assessment as most people have them. If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £328 per month from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you sent your first sick note. If you're given LCW then you won't receive any extra money.
  • MatthewD1985
    MatthewD1985 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    edited January 2019
    Hi geeforce I have direct experience of being self employed and on working tax, I reduced my hours to 15 hours per week and as was under permitted work I was went on to ESA then I increased hours in October as I felt a bit better and needed the money and thought I would go back on to working tax as before. I was told by HMRC I now have to claim UC, so I did that and after nearly 4 months of waiting and booking 22 hours annual leave to go to the jobcentre I was told that my earnings would be too high to get anything at all so the 120 weekly and full c tax benefit and almost full HB I was getting before when on WT had been reduced to 0. So i essentially increased my hours from 15 to 35 and by the time I paid rent and ctax it has worked out really bad for me as I literally have to work an additional 20 hours weekly for less money. Really bad. My advice to anyone at the moment is to not change anything unless you have to - at least until the gov appoint someone with half a heart as the minister for Work and Pensions and has the common sense to not just pause but also roll back this obscene reform.
  • poppy123456
    Hi geeforce I have direct experience of being self employed and on working tax, I reduced my hours to 15 hours per week and as was under permitted work I was went on to ESA then I increased hours in October as I felt a bit better and needed the money and thought I would go back on to working tax as before. I was told by HMRC I now have to claim UC, so I did that and after nearly 4 months of waiting and booking 22 hours annual leave to go to the jobcentre I was told that my earnings would be too high to get anything at all so the 120 weekly and full c tax benefit and almost full HB I was getting before when on WT had been reduced to 0. So i essentially increased my hours from 15 to 35 and by the time I paid rent and ctax it has worked out really bad for me as I literally have to work an additional 20 hours weekly for less money. Really bad. My advice to anyone at the moment is to not change anything unless you have to - at least until the gov appoint someone with half a heart as the minister for Work and Pensions and has the common sense to not just pause but also roll back this obscene reform.
    This is because you don't claim limited capability for work. If this was claimed then you would have a work allowance, which means you would be able to earn a certain amount of money before deductions.
  • geeforce
    Thanks for your reply Matthewwd1985 wot happened I was doing 15 hours a week but have been signed off sick in November and had to claim universal credit my wife is disabled and gets pip so all I get at the moment is 498 for us plus full housing benefit I had a medical form sent to me and I have sent it back 
  • MatthewD1985
    MatthewD1985 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    This is because you don't claim limited capability for work. If this was claimed then you would have a work allowance, which means you would be able to earn a certain amount of money before deductions.

Does that mean that if I get a fit note from the doc they might give me something - I didn't even think of that as I was in support group ESA and was told that i did not need notes anymore and they hadn't asked for a note for over a year and working tax didn't ask for one at all, so I just never even thought to do that - you would think they would have picked up on my PIP claim and probed me further about my disability rather than just say to me that 'you earn more than £256 a month so you don't qualify'. I wish I thought of that earlier cz they won't backdate sick notes... grrrrr... soo annoyed... but also a bit relieved... Thanks poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    @MatthewD1985 What was the reason you claimed UC, was it because you decided to work more hours than permitted work allowed on ESA?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.