Seperating as a disabled person — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seperating as a disabled person

amyjane
amyjane Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Would like some advice on what to do to begin to separate. I am disabled how will this affect my benefits my husband is my sole carer and am scared he will desert me. Are there laws in place does he have a duty of care. Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amyjane
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this is a worrying time for you. I am unsure what advice to give however another member of the community may be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amyjane
    Welcome to the community, Im sorry to hear about your separation, it may be good for you to seek some proper legal advice, you can check out the Law Centre here.

I can understand this must be a worrying and stressful time for you and though we can give you support, it would be sensible for you to get advice from a legal professional.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Hi @amyjane - another hello from me too.  I'm not a legal professional but I am here to listen and support.  
    - Gill 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amyjane and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the links below have been useful for you.
    Scope

• TheArrow
    TheArrow Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Best asking your local council if there’s any support you could get.
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    amyjane said:
    Would like some advice on what to do to begin to separate. I am disabled how will this affect my benefits my husband is my sole carer and am scared he will desert me. Are there laws in place does he have a duty of care. Can anyone help ?
    Picking apart your post
    Is the relationship beyond repair or could some counselling help
    Would the relationship continue if the pressures and stresses were alleviated
    Social services/ NHS

Also it is easy from personal experience to focus on own disabilities and ignore emotional needs of loved ones.

hope you get it sorted

Brightness