Young persons carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Young persons carers allowance

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
My 19 year old son wants to apply for universal credit and carers allowance as he is my carer. We have no idea how this works now everything seems to come under u c. What's best way to approach this please. He is currently getting educational maintenance allowance as he is training. He has been advised due to his age he should apply for jobseekers allowance/universal credit.Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm assuming your son is a student because educational maintenance allowance is paid to students. If this is correct then students can't claim carers allowance.  Universal credit can only be paid to students under certain circumstances. Who advised him to apply for UC?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Do you not still claim tax credits for your son?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    May i ask what other benefits you receive and does anyone else live with you? What PIP award do you receive?
  • debbiedo49
    Hi,

I'm assuming your son is a student because educational maintenance allowance is paid to students. If this is correct then students can't claim carers allowance.  Universal credit can only be paid to students under certain circumstances. Who advised him to apply for UC?

Hi. My son is in approved training run by the local council, for young people. He gets accreditation from a college for the training what's happening is he no longer qualifies up to his 20 th birthday as it's for people up to aged 19. So in August he won't qualify but realistically he can go for u c before then. They said they have young people claiming u c and doing approved training or activities.,I am going to meet up with his youth worker next week to get more info and find out the details.
  • debbiedo49
    Do you not still claim tax credits for your son?
    Yes I get tax credits for now while he is in approved training I'm assuming till just before he is 20.?
  • debbiedo49
    May i ask what other benefits you receive and does anyone else live with you? What PIP award do you receive?
    Yes. I'm on jsa after losing out on esa about 2-3  yearsago. I get chb and ctcredit. I got standard mobility pip and then sdp. I'm working part time 7 and 1/2 hours.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    As you're claiming tax credits for him this will continue until his 20th birthday, same for the CHB.

approved training is classed as a student because you're still claiming CB and tax credits and he won't be able to claim Carers allowance while doing the approved training.

Are you sure you're claiming standard mobility? Because one of the criteria to SDP is daily living award of PIP. If you're claiming just the mobility part then you wouldn't qualify for SDP. If someone claims carers allowance for looking after you, you will lose the SDP on top of your JSA.

The criteria for SDP is daily living PIP or Mid/high rate care DLA, no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and you live alone, or classed as living alone (your son doesn't count, while you're claim child benefit for him)

Please do be aware that when your son reaches 20 the SDP will stop as well because he will no longer be classed as a non dependent and this means you won't be classed as living alone.

Once he reaches 20 then he maybe able to claim UC.

• debbiedo49
    Thanks I will need to check my PIP and sdp. I'm aware of the age 20 thing with tax credits and chb, but not sdp. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    There's another disability premium payable with JSA which is £33.55 per week, for this you qualify with any PIP award. The SDP is £64.30 per week, with a daily living award of PIP. If it's daily living award you have and not mobility then you should be claiming both of those premiums.

The SDP stops when your son reaches 20 because he'll no longer be classed as a dependent and you won't be classed as living alone, unless he claims a qualifying disability benefit too.
  • debbiedo49
    It's 33.55 per week premium paid with jsa and I get standard pip for mobility.
  • poppy123456
    That's what i thought. This means that it's not the SDP you're claiming is the disability premium that's paid on top of JSA.

Your son won't be able to claim Carers allowance for looking after you because you need a daily living award of PIP for him to be able to claim this, in the future.
  • debbiedo49
    Okay thanks I didnt know that
  • poppy123456
  • debbiedo49
    Thanks I got pip award at tribunal last may so I assume I will hear from them or need to respond apply in the near future? I will be applying for daily living component as well as mobility again. So if I'm successful he can apply hopefully. It's a shame cos he is my carer and he does so much for me.
  • poppy123456
    DWP will contact you about 14 weeks before your award is due to end.

If your successful with a daily living award once you're reviewed then if your son is still a student then he won't be able to claim carers allowance because students can't claim it. Please take a look at the link i posted.
  • debbiedo49
    Thank you I have. No he is not a student he is in approved training getting ema but has been advised to go on jsa now u c as he is getting too old for ema. They said he can keep training as they work with the jcp helping young people like him. I'm going to see them, his youth worker tomorrow as they don't have all the info. I've read the links and downloaded the carers leaflet it's very clear. Thank you.
  • debbiedo49
    So I should be hearing from pip end of Feb? Is it a new claim? 
  • poppy123456
    EMA is paid to students and it's an allowance to help with their education. If he wasn't a student then you wouldn't still be claiming child benefit and tax credits for him.

When he makes a claim for UC then he will be signing a claimant commitment and he may still need to look for work. The amount of hours he does through the training will be taken into account for his claimant commitment.

It's 14 weeks before for PIP that was awarded by a Tribunal and yes it will be a new claim with the PIP2 forms.

• debbiedo49
  • debbiedo49
    Now I’m anxious about pip is it from date of tribunal or date of original claim as I got it backdated oh dear. 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.