Must read Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability prem — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Must read Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability prem

Government_needs_reform
Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
For anyone receiving SDP "severe disability premium" and having to change to Universal Credit for a change in circumstances.

Here is the new legal regulations, as from the 16th January 2019.

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS

2019 No. 10

SOCIAL SECURITY

The Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) (SDP Gateway) Amendment Regulations 2019

Made

11th January 2019

Laid before Parliament

14th January 2019

Coming into force

16th January 2019

The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by section 42(1) to (3) of, and paragraphs 1(1) and 3(1)(a) of Schedule 6 to, the Welfare Reform Act 2012(1).

In accordance with section 173(1)(b) of the Social Security Administration Act 1992(2), the Social Security Advisory Committee has agreed that these Regulations should not be referred to it.

In accordance with section 176(1) of Social Security Administration Act 1992 and, in so far as these Regulations relate to housing benefit, the Secretary of State has consulted with organisations appearing to her to be representative of the authorities concerned in respect of the proposals for these Regulations.

Citation and commencement

1.  These Regulations may be cited as the Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) (SDP Gateway) Amendment Regulations 2019 and come into force on 16th January 2019.

Amendment of the Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2014

2.—(1) The Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2014(3) are amended as follows.

(2) In regulation 2 (interpretation) insert at the appropriate place in paragraph (1)—

““severe disability premium” means the premium in relation to an employment and support allowance under paragraph 6 of Schedule 4 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008(4) or, as the case may be, the corresponding premium in relation to income support, old style JSA or housing benefit;”.

(3) After regulation 4 insert—

“Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability premium

4A.  No claim may be made for universal credit on or after 16th January 2019 by a single claimant who, or joint claimants either of whom—

(a)is, or has been within the past month, entitled to an award of an existing benefit that includes a severe disability premium; and

(b)in a case where the award ended during that month, has continued to satisfy the conditions for eligibility for a severe disability premium.”

Consequential Amendments

3.—(1) In article 5A(1) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 (Commencement No 9 and Transitional and Transitory Provision and Commencement No 8 and Savings and Transitional Provisions (Amendment)) Order 2013(5) before “39” insert “4A of those Regulations (restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability premium) or regulation”.

(2) In paragraph (11) of article 6 (transitional provision: claims for housing benefit, income support or a tax credit) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 (Commencement No 21 and Transitional and Transitory Provisions) Order 2015(6) before “39” insert “4A or”.

(3) In paragraph (2) of article 7 (transitional provision: claims for housing benefit, income support or a tax credit) of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 (Commencement No 23 and Transitional and Transitory Provisions) Order 2015(7) before “39” insert “4A or”.

Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Alok Sharma

Minister of State for Employment

Department for Work and Pensions

11th January 2019

EXPLANATORY NOTE

(This note is not part of the Regulations)

These Regulations make provision restricting claims for universal credit by claimants who are, or have been, in receipt of an existing benefit that includes a severe disability premium.

Regulation 1 provides for citation and commencement.

Regulation 2 contains amendments to the Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) Regulations 2014 (S.I. 2014/1230, as amended).

Regulation 3 makes consequential amendments that enable those claimants who are prevented from claiming universal credit by virtue of regulation 2 to make a claim for an existing benefit.

An impact assessment has not been produced for this instrument as it has no impact on business and civil society organisations. This instrument has no impact on the public sector.

(3)

S.I. 2014/1230. There are amendments but none is relevant.

(4)

S.I. 2008/794. Relevant amending instruments are S.I. 2010/11602011/24252011/24282013/388 and 5912014/2888 and 2015/1754.

(5)

S.I. 2013/983 (C.41). Relevant amending instruments are S.I. 2014/1452 and 2321and 2017/483 .

(6)

S.I. 2015/33 (C.4). Relevant amending instruments are S.I 2015/634 and 2017/483.

(7)

S.I. 2015/634 (C.32). Relevant amending instrument is S.I. 2017/376.

Here is the full link for all the information above which is a legal document from the Government.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/made
⬇️
I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Comments

• telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    If I have been on ESA, PIP & also been claiming Severe Disability Premium (SDP) for over a month, what is going to happen to the SDP?
  • Government_needs_reform
    telscope said:
    If I have been on ESA, PIP & also been claiming Severe Disability Premium (SDP) for over a month, what is going to happen to the SDP?
    @telscope I take it your still on ESA at the moment and receiving SDP, if so you should be ok. But this comes in on the 16th Jan. So if you don't have a change in circumstances until after the 16th you should still be able to stay on ESA for now.

Then when the full migration sometime in 2020 onwards and you move over to UC you should or will keep your SDP.

Remember though if your PIP is stopped later on that's when you could also loose your SDP. Hope this helps.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    I think that has made it a little clearer for myself. Thank you for your help.
    edited January 2019
    @telscope and everyone else. A further Follow on information for the above article.

Claimants in receipt of the severe disability premium (SDP) will not be moved onto universal credit (UC) by natural migration if they have a change of circumstances, Alok Sharma Minister of State for Employment confirmed.

The DWP are providing transitional protection to claimants who are moved from ESA to UC via a ‘managed migration process’ beginning in July 2019, so that their income will not immediately drop.

But claimants who have a change of circumstance, such as moving from one local authority area to another – natural migration – before July 2019 begins previously received no such protection.

The latest change in the regulations means that claimants who get the severe disability premium will now only be transferred to universal credit by means of managed migration, with the result that they will qualify for transitional protection and will not have their income reduced.

All we now need is get UC stopped alltogether……BUT.

⬇️

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Someone on my post said this isnt going to happen . 
    It's laid in law @apollo14lmp it's a legal binding contract that the Government will have to adhere too. See the legislation Here is the full link for all the information above which is a legal document from the Government.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/made
    ⬇️

• Diammondgirlz
    Diammondgirlz Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    I've just had my esa stopped had to claim uc as my sons returned to live with me he's 15, there requesting sick notes, I'm stressed and sorry don't understand this, I have fibromyalgia and on esa was on support group. Can anyone offer me advice please ASAP as I'm so ill with worry. Ty 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Diammondgirlz
    So sorry to hear that! Did your ESA stop after an assessment?
    Are you already claiming UC?
  • Diammondgirlz
    I had to make a claim on 10th January as my 15yr old son finally got returned bk to my care after 10yyr battle on unfounded allegations. I was on esa 6+ yrs on support group had been due a medical review last April but esa never contacted me about it, now uc want sick notes. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,034 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you were previously in the Support Group for ESA then DWP should place you in the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA and sick notes are definitely not needed. Please either put a note on your journal or ring UC and tell them that you were previously in the Support Group. A case manager needs to send the details across for the LCWRA to be put into place. You'll then receive the extra £328 per month in with your payments. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Diammondgirlz
    I've tried that already and was told because I was due a review on 18th April 2018 that I do have to send them in, it's really stressing me out as I know my money is going to be down and affected and nothing there seems I can do about it, I've spoken to them via journal and phone and been told by case worker I must supply a fit note or be sanctioned or even have my uc claim closed! 
  • Diammondgirlz
    They say I have to send them in until the uc give me a assessment 
  • poppy123456
    that is not correct. Yes, you can be re-assessed at anytime but you were in the support group for ESA and you should be automatically given LCWRA and sick notes are not needed.

If it was me then i'd be writing to my local MP because you've been advised incorrectly. Are you sure it was a case worker and not your work coach that told you this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Diammondgirlz
    It may have been I'm honestly unsure was on the journal it just has 2 different people name both saying I need to supply sick notes I will email my mp tonight thanks 
  • poppy123456
    I would also ring UC to ask for a call back from a case manager. You'll be called back within 48 hours. You won't be able to ring and speak directly to a case manager so if you did ring then it was mostly a work coach you spoke to. Whoever it was you've not be given the correct information.
  • Diammondgirlz
  • poppy123456
    I knew there was information on this on the internet but it has taken me this long to find what i was looking for. I have now finally found it for you in this link.

This was taken from the above link. Scroll down to migration and limited capability for work related activity.
    A claimant entitled to old-style ESA and for whom it had been determined that s/he had limited capability for work-related activity or was treated as having limited capability for work-related activity (ie, was in the support group) when s/he claimed UC is treated as having limited capability for work-related activity for UC.12 This should also apply regarding a claimant who established this on mandatory reconsideration or appeal concerning ESA.

• Diammondgirlz
    Ty I have contacted my mp hoping she can help as I'm getting no where with uc ?
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    In the original HCWS745 UC written statement presented by former S of S Esther McVey last June:

it clearly states that "...we will provide both an on-going payment to claimants who have already lost this Premium as a consequence of moving to Universal Credit and an additional payment to cover the period since they moved."

In the new legislation, while welcome, and accross the forum network, I am struggling to find reference to the "additional payment to cover the period since they moved." aspect of this committment. Indeed, the silence has been deafening surrounding this issue. Can anyone shed some light on the status of this part of the government's pledge as these are large sums of money that disabled people have lost out on due to the savage cuts to their disability premiums.

• Diammondgirlz
    Thank you! I'm happy to say I've won! I went to my mp Rosie winterton and also kept on at the uc via journal and kept being told no your esa assessment was due last April so your at assessment phase sorry but that's how it is. I didn't accept this and kept providing all evidence got from here and Internet search etc put it in journal with links etc and today 3 weeks after starting hard work I've got a letter in journal stating I'm on wrag! Yayy they owe me £328 too!
    Happy days n thank you to all that's helped.... If your going thro it don't give up you can win them too! 
    I'm proof of that xx

Brightness