Last straw i give up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Last straw i give up

Options
dmidwinter148
dmidwinter148 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
After my pip assessment and reading the report sent me into a total breakdown, honestly could not come at a worst time. ive been waiting for a surgery for 4 years and they won't do it if i im not mentally well. Honestly i am really struggling i keep thinking how much more can go wrong. I lost my baby, my friends dont want to know me, now pip has been taken the last straw. i live in a house with an abusive father. Doctors just ignore me and the Lift team meant to help with mental help were worse than useless. I can see all the warning signals of a breakdown. Makes me so mad noone notices mental health and were left to cope. all my progress from my last one has been wasted, i pray one day something will be done and hope others get more help  :'(  

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Options
    Dear @dmidwinter148
    It sounds like you are going through [and have been through] a rough time of late but please do not lose hope.  
    Many people fall at the first hurdle i.e. following a PIP assessment, you can now request a mandatory consideration [if possible include evidence re your physical/mental health] and if that doesn't work then you can go to a tribunal - many many people who don't get PIP on assessment [especially those with mental health issues] get it at this stage.  Some assessors just don't 'get' mental health, it's the system, not you...
    If you can enlist the help of your local welfare rights organisation or CAB that might help?
    In the meanwhile you could ask your GP to refer you for counselling or if you work some workplaces [the larger ones] also offer counselling through their EAP [Employee Assistance Programme].
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear this @dmidwinter148. It sounds like you're having a really tough time at the moment and I'm truly sorry to hear that you're coping with the PIP process on top of that. 

You mention doctors ignoring you when it comes to your mental health. I wonder if you would be comfortable seeing a different doctor for a second opinion? They may be able to see your situation with fresh eyes and refer you on for further support. In the meantime, we're all rooting for you and here to listen.

Do let us know if you'll be doing a mandatory reconsideration and we can advise: this page on DWP appeals may help you get started. Above all, know that we believe in you and you can do this. I hope today's as kind as possible to you.

Brightness