Could this be more than anxiety? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could this be more than anxiety?

Options
Haleyjane
Haleyjane Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited January 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
All my life iv struggled to understand others feelings and emotions and intelligence levels aswell as my own, find a job i like,  feeling like my thought process is different because i dont understand the simple things.  Could this be more then anxiety? 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @haleyjane

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us.
    I am sorry to hear you feel like you have been struggling with this. Some of our members may offer some support, with similar experiences.

Have you seen your GP about this?

• Haleyjane
    Options
    Yeah i have,  im on citlapram and been offered councelling,  but also trying to reach out to others for guidance and advice as i feel i process emotions differently to others xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you mind me asking how old you are @Haleyjane ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Haleyjane
    Options
    Not good,  im very up and down,  iv done alot of research on my behaviours and how im feeling,  and they are showing up on the autism spectrum and iv tried talking to friends and they have shut me down 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The only way to know for sure whether you are autistic is to get a formal diagnosis, the National Autistic Society say the first step would be to speak to your GP. 

"Book an appointment with your GP. Make sure your diagnosis is the only thing you are seeing your GP about. If you try to mention it during a consultation about another subject, your GP may not address it fully."

There is lots more information on their website here.

It might be helpful to you to speak to someone on the National Autistic Society helpline? You can call them on 0808 800 4104

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Haleyjane
    Options
    I have an appointment booked for 3 weeks time so thank you.  

Brightness