BREXIT AND MEDICINE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BREXIT AND MEDICINE

mendipmark
mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
edited January 2019 in Research and opportunities
HI

I am deeply concerned about the supply of medical and pharmaceutical supplies into the country. I think its about time health and welfare charities pay more attention to the issue with HM Government. LIVES DEPEND ON THE SUPPLIES GETTING IN WITHOUT DELAYS. Chemists have already got q list of 80 common drugs in short supply even before Brexit. Its not just pills either. Its ALL medical supplies.

I am a disabled person with multiple issues including needing dialysis three times a week to stay alive like many others. I am stunned at an apparent lack of interest from charities in the topic given our essential needs. Stockpiling is not enough. Agreements must include special provisions for the flow of all things medical going in either direction. Its not just the nhs but also the contractprs and private

Comments

• mendipmark
    Companies. Nobody seems to be in control of stockpiling and deciding what needs stockpiling and that must change.

I have a very painful and slow death if supplies dry up like many others.

ALL CHARITIES NEED TO UNITE TO RAISE THE ISSUES NOW.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Do you remember the Y2K panic at the turn of the century when all the computers on the planet would go into meltdown?   Nothing happened of course and the same thing will happen here with Brexit. In spite of the doom and gloom merchants and petty political tomfoolery life will carry on.  I don't believe a word of what comes out of the BBC.....look at how they're reporting on the issue of a 97 year old crashing his car for example.

DON'T PANIC.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    It looks as if our posters have been watching the news and going into a panicking mood. The government, hospitals and drugs supply industry is, has been aware of this senorio for months now but the public has only had it brought to their attention, notice. People, companies are already thinking out of the box about what if so posting on here will cause more people to worry and panic. It's a good job we can't bulk buy our medications our self's but have to have pets prescriptions.
  • mendipmark
    Its not just pills and any person would be concerned if your life depends on the ability to have dialysis. Neither is my concern based on bbc news. Its based on the situation so far and the silence of the charity sector. It affects machines, spares and consumables to enable the hospitals and units to work.

Most dialysis units for example get their kit in germany and we cant just open a factory in the uk and make it as they are bought from the manufacturer of the dialysis machines and you need lots of hi tech facilities. If you run out people dont get treated and die slowly and painfully. As machines are designed differently it is not just a case of switching suppliers.

Yes the NHS is stockpiling but what happens ir stocks run out or they havent got stocks of the right kit. Nobody seems to know if they are stockpiling for the companies that operate services for the nhs like dialysis companies and what if any steps they must take. I like many people would like medical equipment to be treated separately and in the highest priority by customs on both sides and this needs putting in any agreement.
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    We have been IN the EU for decades.  As a journalist whenever I asked whoever was our current Minister for Health, why we weren't learning from the better health care in Europe, Ministers would say "it's not the NHS way".  All or a sudden with Brexit looming they are yearning for Europe.  Our medicines are manufactured by giant Pharma companies.  They are going to want to keep on making massive profits by supplying our drugs.  So there may be scre-mongering, but I am sure the drugs will keep on rolling in.  
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    its pharmaceutical companies trying to use Brexit as a platform to charging UK more for drugs nowt to do with Brexit its greed pure and simple.
    Carpe Noctem
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Exactly!  We can see this - pity the politicians can't.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Big Pharma is charging plenty here, too, with no restraints placed on them

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.