How can I welcome people with a disability to apply for a job with my company? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I welcome people with a disability to apply for a job with my company?

gardeningjen
gardeningjen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2019 in Work and employment
Hi, I am setting up a new animal care based business - it's a boarding cattery.  I am completing a grant application for funding to help us get started.  The application form asks "how will you ensure that the business does not unfairly disadvantage anybody in terms of ethnicity, disability, age, gender, religious beliefs, marital status, gender reassignment and sexual orientation?"  My reply is that ALL customers are welcome in our business, and that we would welcome job applications from people regardless of any of these issues (including mental or physical disability).  In fact we are aware that disabled people may have special strengths to animal care and as a small business, we could probably be flexible about the duties in a role in order to make the most of an employee's abilities.  

Do you think this is a good answer?  Is there anything else I should say?  We want to be a good employer and would genuinely welcome applications from anyone.  

Comments

• spikeymike
    spikeymike Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I love animals and been out of work for 4 years. I would love to work again. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having worked on a farm all my life till becoming disabled retired to being diagnosed with MS and no modifications could be made to allow me to return to work safely. Your main concern would be having safety precautions in place to allow staff with a disability to fully participate in all the activities of the business safely for themselves and the animals.
  • gardeningjen
    gardeningjen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Good point, Wilko, thanks
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gardeningjen Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  I am one of the team of community champions who guide, help and advise new members who join.

Understand the business you have to apply certain criteria for every one who is part of a community not to disadvantage them..

I do know something to consider is to consult with your local council. Often have consultants and advisors can fully guide in the many hurdles and obstacles that you may have to come across.

Making sure for example if you employ members of our community. Adaptions and certain measures are  put into place. So they can work safely.

Simple things like washroom facilities, disabled toilets. Parking for our community. Easy access.  Just a few suggestions that should be in place.

Having been a volunteer in animal welfare. For a while.  I would and should be available to help me do my role better.

Of course also making the training and safety awareness a priority.  Something I did not have and was expected to have from the place I volunteered at.

Ongoing support and training I believe especially in any animal welfare. Makes the prospective employee satisfied plus good training  reflects the nature of the animals they are looking after.

Safe, hygienic, clean and well kempt premises ensures does it not happy animals which in turn generates happy customers.

One final point.  Wish you well for a successful business.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness