SDP and Universal Credit Gateway Conditions ... - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP and Universal Credit Gateway Conditions ...

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • teejays1617
    teejays1617 Community member Posts: 92 Courageous
    Hi Apollo and fellow readers.
    I really feel that I should try to claim for all the Housing Benefit denied to me over the last 12 months,but fellow readers say that I should have gone on to Universal Credit but if I had of done I would have lost my SDP premium every week.
    So who do I try to claim from ? Would it be DWP ? Or the local council?
    Please someone help me 
    The stress on my health over the last 12 months has taken an awful toll
    I lost 3 stone and the excessive stress and lack of money for food seriously
    affected my diabetic diet and now I have tremors in my hands.
    Already suffer from panic attacks and anxious outbreaks.
    Things went from bad to worse .Suicidal thoughts.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    If it would have been me then i would have had no option but to claim UC. Yes, claiming UC you would have lost the SDP each week but if your rent exceeded this then you were worse off by having to pay your own rent. Doesn't really make any sense.

As you're still claiming legacy benefits then it's your local council you need to claim this back from and not DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    I can't see how it would be the DWP that you would need to claim it from since you don't claim UC. As it's housing benefit then this is to do with your local council. I'll be happy to be proved wrong here but also interested to know who you should claim it from. @apollo14lmp good luck with everything and please do come back and let us know what happened.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
  • teejays1617
    Hi Apollo and Tressell and Poppy and Fellow readers
    3am and my friend is typing this blog to help me.
    On the 9th of January 2019 I receive a nasty letter from my local council (Redditch )stating I cannot have any Housing Benefit unless I go on to Universal Credit
    They make no mention of the new Gateway condition for a disabled person like myself receiving SDP which came into force on the 16/01/2019
    Instead the letter says unless I go over to Universal Credit I cannot have any help with my rent until my pensionable age in 3 years time.
    I have requested an ANYTIME REVISION on my Housing Benefit after reading 
    great blog from Tressel and Apollo.
    I won't give up in this fight which I believe has had a very serious impact on my health.
    My local council made no mention in the 09/01/2019 letter to me about the new Gateway condition,instead threatened me saying all future applications for Housing Benefit would be denied me unless I joined Universal Credit or 
    reach pensionable age.
    I might be a broken poor man but I will fight against this injustice
    I am just so grateful that SCOPE and this brilliant site exists.

• poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    @teejays1617 you received the letter on the 9th January, the legislation didn't come out until 14th January, with the new SDP rules coming into affect from 16th January and not before.

Had you applied for housing benefit before the 16th January, yes you would have been refused because you would have needed to apply for UC at that point. I really don't understand why you applied before the legislation came out.

Have you applied again since Wednesday 16th? if not is there any reasons why?

If you haven't applied again you need to contact your local council and tell them about the new legislation for those claiming SDP and show it to them if you have to. Also get proof that you claim the SDP.

• teejays1617
    I have applied for Housing Benefit on the 17/01/2019
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
  • teejays1617
    Apollo I cannot see your email .Please resend
  • [Deleted User]
  • teejays1617
    Hi Apollo .Thankyou for your email.Gratefully received.
  • teejays1617
    Hi Poppy and fellow readers.
    Thankyou for your advice. I personally think that the local councils will blame DWP for not placing recipients of SDP in an exemption category  in 2018
    I am sending in an ANYTIME REVISION on my housing benefit and see where I go from there.
  • [Deleted User]
  • teejays1617
    Hi Apollo and fellow  readers ,its taken me several hours with friends to put together case papers against my local council to get an ANYTIME REVISION
    ON MY HOUSING BENEFIT requesting the backdating also. 
    I am very grateful for yourself and other readers that have emailed me paperwork
    and templates to challenge the council.
    The template you sent me was most helpful in me challenging how the council refused me Housing Benefit and how it has impacted on my physical and mental 
    health and the awful impact on my day to day living causing more angina attacks,
    more panic attacks and more depressive episodes which at times caused 
    suicidal thoughts. No government or council should have put disabled people through this mental torture.
    Ive also heard that after Brexit the current government wants to abolish Human Right's laws .How true that is ,i'm not sure 
    Please comment 
    Many thanks
  • teejays1617
    Hi Apollo and fellow readers 
    Am I going about this the right way?  I am asking my local council for an ANYTIME REVISION ON MY HOUSING BENEFIT including a request for backdating my claim or should I be claiming from DWP?
    I think you APOLLO are making your claim from DWP or are you trying DWP
    and your local council?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
  • teejays1617
    Looks like i'm in a similar  boat like you Apollo. I have heart issues and a lot more
    angina attacks.
    Scope is allowing our voices to be heard across the country
    Just hoping we can win back some if not all of the money lost in paying full rent this last year .
    I wish every one on here the very best in winning the battle against a government
    which clearly has acted in a discriminatory way towards Disabled people

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.