pip waiting times for tribunal - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip waiting times for tribunal

Comments

• Lindaann
    Lindaann Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    Sorry but it isnt wrong for me to tell you this !!! At my daughter original face to face it was commented on how she was well presented ... from a lady that worked for the ca she said no makeup ... when youre having your worst day would you put your makeup on ? That would be the last thing on my mind ... make up! Then it depends on your illness ... if its not due to chronic pain then fair enough! You asked advice ... i was going off our experience ...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming PIP isn't about your worst day, it's how you're affected 50% of the time. When going to assessments and Tribunals, you should always dress the way you always do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lindaann
    When they ask you questions they should ask on your worst DAY ... my daughter was having a bad day when she went so it didnt really matter but if you look up on tribunal they tell you to dress down ! If youre asking for advice why throw it back ?
    Have you done one before ? If you havnt then why not take advice from those who have...they dont ask how do you feel half of the time ... there are tricky questions to answer ... as you will find out for yourself ! 
  • poppy123456
    I wasn't the person asking for advice, someone else was. They don't ask you questions based on your worst day because that's not what PIP is about. They ask you questions about how your conditions affect you. As i advised, PIP is about how you are 50% of the time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lindaann
    Where have you got that advice from ? My daughter can have days where she cant do anything due to pain...she has better days but not good days as she always struggles ...they dont ask based on 50% of the time they ask how you manage to do certain things ... on the day you go and you are perfectly good and well then it makes the discision more difficult ! There's lots of advice that say if you cant walk 200 metres a couple of times a day on your worst day without causing pain then it should be taken that you cant do it ! This is what i have read on C A ...
  • alisha22
    alisha22 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    my cpn is writing a support letter for me regarding my esa review form to fill in. I'm currently in the esa support group for mental health, nothing has improved but I now have a cpn and still with under the mental health team. I hope dwp are satisfied with this and don't harass me even more.
  • Lindaann
    Good luck love xx
  • poppy123456
    See link and scroll down to time periods, fluctuations and descriptor choices. From 2.1.8 of this guide states this.

2.1.8 A scoring descriptor can apply to claimants in an activity where their impairment(s) affects their ability to complete an activity, at some stage of the day, on more than 50 per cent of days in the 12 month period. The following rules apply.

2.1.9 If one descriptor in an activity is likely to apply on more than 50 per cent of the days in the 12 month period – i.e. the activity can be completed in the way described on more than 50 per cent of days – then that descriptor should be chosen.

2.1.10 If 2 or more descriptors in an activity are likely to apply on more than 50 per cent of the days in the period then the descriptor chosen should be the one which is the highest scoring.

Guide here.

• alisha22
    Just had a look at the link from poppy for help filling in the esa50 form. Well alot u can't do and majority is because of my mental health. I got anxious and sweaty just reading the questions because I'm scared I can't answer them and if I do answer them it's all down to my mental health. I do have incontinence and problems with my knee etc but 80% is to do with my mental health and that is why I was put in the support group last time funnier enough the support I have now with the mental health team I did not have before just doctor saying I had psychosis and was on medication. So I'm glad I have quite a bit of support now.
  • poppy123456
    It's starting to get confusing because there's 2 threads going on here.

You were most likely placed into the Support Group for reg 35, so this is what you need to concentrate on when filling out the form.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    See link and scroll down to time periods, fluctuations and descriptor choices. From 2.1.8 of this guide states this.

2.1.8 A scoring descriptor can apply to claimants in an activity where their impairment(s) affects their ability to complete an activity, at some stage of the day, on more than 50 per cent of days in the 12 month period. The following rules apply.

2.1.9 If one descriptor in an activity is likely to apply on more than 50 per cent of the days in the 12 month period – i.e. the activity can be completed in the way described on more than 50 per cent of days – then that descriptor should be chosen.

2.1.10 If 2 or more descriptors in an activity are likely to apply on more than 50 per cent of the days in the period then the descriptor chosen should be the one which is the highest scoring.

Guide here.

Obviously the above is what is supposed to happen! However the reality can be totally different in that if you can carry out an activity but only for those limited  periods you will still be deemed to be able to carry it out thus gaining no points.

The assessor in my experience of three of these assessments does not normally consider the variability factor. If you can walk 50 metres than you will be deemed to be able to walk up to 200 metres even if you can only manage the distance in short parts before you have to give up.

I told the assessor sarcastically  that I could walk 1 mile but in reality it would take me at least 2 hours, probably 3 to do that distance with stops every 20 metres due to pain and breathlessness. They agreed (assessor and the DWP that I had no problem walking over 200 metres!

• poppy123456
    The fact that you said you can walk one mile, would have done it for you. Enough said...
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    The fact that you said you can walk one mile, would have done it for you. Enough said...
    But the accompanying further explanation puts my answer into context.
     It is more than possible that many people who say that they cannot walk more than 20 metres could very well walk a lot further but under quite a lot of conditions. The ability for some to walk in and through  pain or  having to stop regularly to get your breath back or to take an extra ordinarily long time to complete that journey. So should you lie and say that you cannot (ever) walk more than 20 metres? Or should you say that you could manage a longer distance but that there would be consequences if attempted?
    That was what I was trying to get over to the assessor - being totally truthful but offering an explanation as how difficult it would be and possibly medically unsafe it was. 

It really comes down to how honest is honest.

Let's say for example I was filmed by the DWP and seen to be walking more than 20 metres. By saying that the maximum I can walk is 20 metres would leave me wide open to benefit fraud.

But by saying a longer distance but under extremely difficult conditions - that would be exactly what was seen.
  • Lindaann
    To say you can walk further but with considerable difficulty and causing pain after doing so is the truth if thsts the case ... this is me ... i can walk but not multiple times in a day without it causing me pain ! Good luck love ...x
  • noluckatall
    noluckatall Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi all I have my tribunal coming up in the next few weeks and I am dreading it any advice would be appreciated thanks
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Mental health - yes, I have severe challenges here. But just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t a real disability. We are also supposed to not have a voice. So yes, it is important not to dress up for a tribunal because that’s what I did for my assessment and in 20 minutes she decided I now can live on 69£ per month, I looked ‘well groomed’ she said. Forgive me for trying. The truth is, an assessment or tribunal is not a normal day, so people think they need to make an extra effort to present themselves well. But you don’t, because they use that against you. It’s more complicated than this, mentally, but that is the gist of it. 
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    If it is 50:/ of the time, im shocked because I told her I have 95:/ bad days ... That’s the truth.

• Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    alisha22 said:
    Does anyone know how long before you hear from the pip appeal tribunal. I sent my application and submissions in Feb 2018.
    Hello alisha22 just the same as me from Feb 2018 and still no date if you look on the letter that as come from the tribunal. there is a tele number on it if you give them a ring you may get some info off them as to how long have been on the list and about some clue as to a date hope this helps all the best.
  • alisha22
    Hello guys its been a while since my last post. Anyway I need some advice. Im already getting pip both standard rates for daily living and mobility. For esa I was put in the support group. I did a change of circumstances for pip because I feel they did not consider my mental health which has got worse so I have a f2f 3rd april 2019, is this normal. Also will i change the time as it is at 9.00am and with medication im all groggy and half out of it can I ask for time to change.
  • alisha22
    Also for esa I have also a f2f in a centre but my gp has requested a home visit so just waiting for an answer from them whereas pip automatically gave me a home visit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.