No support for mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No support for mental health

Sholay09
Sholay09 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
edited January 2019 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hello I am really struggling at the moment with no support for my mental health problems. It is so bad that there is not much mental health services out there in some parts of the UK like Birmingham for an example as there is a lot of people like me that are urgent and that really need the proper or right support for their mental health and other issues that they have. I really want to be able to tell an advocate about wanting my voice to be heard more by everyone and having the right to get support for my mental health for when I finally do get one after waiting nearly 5 months now for an advocate. Also I really hate it when not everyone seems to get the right support that they need and that is not fair at all as everyone has rights and everyone is entitled to get the right support that they need and that everyone deserves to be treated the same as everyone else and to be allowed to have freedom and to lives their own lives as much as they want. I really also hate it when no one understands me or others with mental health issues or disabilities or conditions at all and that is bad. I just don't know what to do anymore as no one is listening to what I am saying no matter what I say or do. I really hate some people out there that are still unpleasant and nasty and being so misunderstanding of others in what I am going through. Please I really want all of this negatives to end!!!!!!!!?
S.York

Comments

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi I'm sorry to hear your going through this. I've been fighting  for years to get my son help for his mental health which has gotten so bad now he can't even leave the house. He got 6 weeks of cbt not even enough for him to feel comfortable then that was it. Now we wait again the only thing they seem to be quick at is trying him on different meds.
    I wish you all the best and I hope you have someone who understands as I know many of us on here sure understand what you are going through. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Sholay09

How are you doing today?

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear about what you're going through. You may want to call our  Scope helpline   on 0808 800 3333 (free), they are open from  Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm and you may find these organisations helpful. :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sholay09 How are you doing?  Reading your post. I do understand after being aware of services for mental health are not good in certain areas of the UK.

It is asking you self important questions and finding the right solutions. Questions you ask yourself are:

What is important finding what is right for you. What would you like as support?

How would having some support make you well and how can the best way to manage your conditions and your well being.

Using ways means coping methods and strategies related to your condition.

These are all the questions you should be asking yourself. Remember only understanding yourself more you can find the answers.

I use myself mental health charities. Spent a lot of my time on line finding the right support the necessary information to cope.

Sitting down in front  of the computer with a pen and paper. Putting in your own local area. Take your time.

Also may I add all mental health charities as well as council services are over stretched and underfunded.  May I add and stress that there time is limited and could have assigned to you floating support.

This will not be permanent and usually a contract with them for a period of time.  Until they think you can manage your condition better.

One other point may discharge you if you do not adhere to any aims and goals to your care plan.

I said no a few times long time ago learnt the hard way. No say yes if I think it is helping me to get well.

One final point will ask all the above questions I have stated.

Reason I am at the present do know your problem as I have used up the resources of my local area.  Many mental health charities and services will not admit you again to use there services if you have used them before.

Do know from my own experience need to ask again for additional support. I am coping but in the long term future need assessing again for my own requirements.

Yes I know can deal with my own issues and this helps being on here.

Please can I also say if you feel the need to access mental health charities services many are self referral.

Please feel free to ask me anything. Only to happy to suggest organisations and charities if that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness