Should I give up driving? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I give up driving?

twins2708
twins2708 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2019 in Transport and travel
I had a collision in my car yesterday , not entirely my fault but that one now makes 3 accidents in 3 years (first 2 were not my fault) I am wondering if i should give up driving ?. On the one hand I am now very nervous of driving but on the other if i cant drive then i cant go see my dad who has dementia and is bed bound or get to drs appointments because i am very unsteady on my feet and would probably fall on buses an d I cannot walk far. So anyone got some advice for me because my car is my life line but i really dont know if I can drive again? 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @twins2708

How are you?

I am sorry to hear about the accidents you've had, I can understand why you would feel nervous to drive. You may be interested in looking into a Taxicard to give you a break from driving, and see how you get on from there. :)

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Get checked by a driving instructor. That will remove any doubt.
    Even if the worst came to the worst then not running a car would fund a lot of taxi rides. Also there might be a community transport option.
  • twins2708
    I have a mobility car an d have to keep it until the end of 2 years ?
  • twins2708
    Hi @twins2708

How are you?

I am sorry to hear about the accidents you've had, I can understand why you would feel nervous to drive. You may be interested in looking into a Taxicard to give you a break from driving, and see how you get on from there. :)

Hi Antonia , we don't have taxicard in my 

• twins2708
    twins2708 said:
    Hi @twins2708

How are you?

Hi Antonia , we don't have taxicard in my area 

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @twins2708

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully more of our members will be able to advise you further with this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    twins2708 said:
    I have a mobility car an d have to keep it until the end of 2 years ?
    You should speak to your GP about your fitness to drive. It's not really a question anyone can answer on an internet forum.

No, you don't have to keep your car till the end of the lease. Contact motability and they'll advise you how to return it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    As I am still driving I shall consult with a driving instructor when the time comes on my abilities to continue driving. Talking with your doctor may be helpful but he won’t be sitting in the car watching you drive so have a driving lesson with a local school of motorists explaining why you need require a lesson to avaluate your driving skills .

Brightness