Free dating sites - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free dating sites

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have more recently become housebound and do appreciate how difficult that makes things for romantic connections. Fortunately I am old, been through it and am too crippled to get involved again so life, in that respect, is much simpler.

There is nothing inherently wrong with living alone although it can make MH issues worse and people are so brainwashed into thinking they MUST have someone in their life. Online and f2f friends are usually a much better option for most of us because connections also bring complications with them.

Physical connections have alternatives although most people are against such things for one reason or another but although they can still bring complications and risks are, at least, available. Even friendships bring along complications though. I feel really sorry for youngsters who have had no chance to experience such things but I would like to point out that very few relationships now last very long now and sometimes it is easier to miss out on the bad times by missing out the fewer good ones.

It is said that "it is better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all" but I disagree. My life has been filled with many more bad times than good despite being honest, loyal and giving by nature. More often this has just led to myself being taken advantage of. Please remember one very important point though. There is much more physical and emotional abuse in relationships involving the disabled than in relationships involving healthy people. Why this should be I do not know but it is unfortunately true and have met a few disabled ladies who have known nothing but abuse in their relationships. The whole idea of relationships can be a minefield for the disabled.

In a way I am lucky in that I have 3 grown children that I love dearly but who have disappointed me in so many ways. They give me less support or even interest than I gave to my mother when I was already disabled and she healthy. Real love is hard to find and for myself that was only once and that caused me as much grief as all my other relationships put together. My love was not returned and this is far more common than people like to believe.

Now I deliberately restrict my connections to friendships and even that doesn't always work out due to the brainwashing of others and nonacceptance of refusal.

Sometimes I wish I could pass on my experiences in an emotional capacity rather than written. It might just explain things better.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I have spent most of my life single by choice. It would just be nice to have someone who wants to love me and take card of me for a change lol! Only taken me my whole life to decide this lol! But I will still be okay being single regardless. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd prefer to have a partner but only someone compatible.

I've known four people meet long term partners on dating sites.  Maybe its a matter of luck.  One used Plenty More Fish and another answered an ad in the personal column of a local newspaper.
  • Rebel70
    Rebel70 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I've used plenty of fish and it was full of idiots. I had 2 women ask if I wanted sex with them and their under age daughters. Lots of dating sites say they are free  They are to register but then you can't see the messages people send unless you pay. I'm not into the gay scene so it's hard for me to meet that special lady  I am able bodied but have fibromyalgia, osteopenia, cervical spondylitis and vulvadynia  as well as suffer with terrible migraines and vertigo so have many days where I'm not very mobile  I do push myself to do things when I can but pay for it for a few days after  I just want to meet someone special who will treat me with love and respect. I've been single nearly 9 yrs now and am ready to move on. I'm ok single but want that intimacy that I really miss and which your friends can't provide. If anyone knows of a really good dating site please let me know. 
  • Matilda
    Quite a few people on dating sites are emotionally disturbed and not ready for a new relationship, for example not 'over' their last relationship.  The technical term is 'time wasters'.
  • smiler43
    smiler43 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I have meet a lovely man I met online on free dating after few bad experiences online . We meet soon 22nd and while yes have to be careful there are positive experiences of this online thing some carers I have are married met online . There are good men out there and women.  Yes most want payment but free dating is free but you have to find the good ones.
  • Becky270
    Becky270 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi! I met my partner Dan on the app Bumble. It's free, but as with most apps there are options to buy 'add ons' and enhancements. Good Luck! I talk lots about dating and relationships with a disability on my blog: https://headoverwheelsx.com/
    Becky :smile:  
    X
  • Whishour44
    Whishour44 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I can totally understand the pain of finding dating sites which are actually 'Free" rather than just saying. Here are some of the dating sites which I have tried myself:
    MySinglefriend.com
    DatingDirect.com
    MuddyMatches.co.uk
    there are some more sites you can check them over here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/the-20-best-online-dating-websites/

All these are websites, in case you meant for Mobile apps. There are many options for that too:
    Bumble
    Tinder
    Coffee Meets Bagel
    Few more you can check them here https://www.theabsolutedater.com/best-hook-up-apps/
  • martins
    martins Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    My 24 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy signed up to Bumble but she got replies from lots of boys/men but all they wanted was to meet her for sex. That's not what she wants she wants a proper relationship where you go out and get to know someone and then fall in love and then take it further. Why do men think that because she has a disability all she wants is sex!!
  • Matilda
    I understand that some sites are only for people looking for sex. Have a good look at the site before you decide to use it.  Plenty More Fish is not free but is 'respectable'.  It has a separate Naughty Pond but you don't need to touch that!
  • martins
    martins Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Thank you for you reply
  • TheArrow
    TheArrow Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Please avoid POF as a dating site because it’s full of fakes. I’m really unlucky in finding someone and it’s likely I never will (seems like I’m cursed).

Good luck to those who do find someone because you’ll have better luck than me haha *sob*
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Pof. 

Plenty of fakes. 

But all dating sites the same

Free or pay for.!

Same people on all sites,just different profile names! :(

• gaz1960
    It does seem as if all dating sites are mostly London based? The Midlands,and up North seem to be a desolate,no go areas,"Here be monsters ,dragons and Unicorns and hobgoblins,mandrakes and where all manner of wierd beasties live",rather than where two people meet and live happily after! 
    Anybody else seem to feel like it's that way?
  • Rebel70
    Rebel70 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    POF is just for people who want to play online. It's not people who are looking for a proper relationship. I don't like the idea of having to pay to find a partner  It's not easy though. They all say free until you try to chat to people and then they want money for you to send replies. It gets harder to meet anyone when you're older, have a disability and in my case am a lesbian. I'm not in the gay scene as I'm not out and loud. I don't about it from the rooftops anymore than a heterosexual person does. So I thought trying a dating site would be a great idea. How wrong was I. Most lived too far away too  I don't drive so I want someone local. I think dating sites should make it clear that it is not a sex site. I had to ring the old as twice I had women ask me if I would have a threesome with them and their underage daughter. Just wrong. This isn't what a dating site is for. So if anyone has any positive information to help please feel free to let us know  
  • jay_uk
    jay_uk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    As much as I would like to get to know new people sometimes, I generally have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone. while online dating is a slight upgrade to conventional dating, its still hard for singles with handicaps. There are a few free services , which cater to people with disabilities. Check out https://datinghive.co.uk/disabled-dating/ if you're interested. They compare free dating sites and apps for disabled people in the UK.  
  • gaz1960
    Site's that say,TRY FOR  FREE! Which means anything else is paid for? Only looked at main page! 

I know sites need to make money, but,surely disabled dating site's,or any site's, could survive with advertising, rather than charging fees to vulnerable people ? 
    Just my opinion!  
  • gaz1960
    jay_uk said:
    As much as I would like to get to know new people sometimes, I generally have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone. while online dating is a slight upgrade to conventional dating, its still hard for singles with handicaps. There are a few free services , which cater to people with disabilities. Check out https://datinghive.co.uk/disabled-dating/ if you're interested. They compare free dating sites and apps for disabled people in the UK.  
    Thanks for sharing that site! :) 
  • gaz1960
    Well,a bit of a break since posting! 

Nothing changed! 

Still loooking on dating sites!

Guessing undateable! :/

Tall,handsome, *yeah right*,athletic,lol,:) Hahaha:) 

I was,actually joking! :) Apart from being tall! Lol:) 

• gaz1960
    Did i mention sense of humor? Lol:) 

Brightness