Private pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private pension

Grace7
Grace7 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Last week I was awarded PIP (enhanced for care and standard for mobility). I've also since applied for the severe mental impairment council tax reduction.

My Dad is 62, retired and in receipt of a private pension. I stay with him from Friday - Sunday and also see in most other days for a few hours, as well as very frequent phone contact. This more equates to the 35 hours per week rule for carers allowance. Does having a private pension impact on eligibility for carers allowance? 

Would him receiving carers allowance impact on any of the benefits I am receiving? 

Many thanks in advance. I am completely new to this and am finding it very difficult to find out clear information. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Carers allowance can't be claimed by those receiving state pension but it can be claimed by those receiving a private pension. You don't say what other benefits you claim and where or not you live alone or classed as living alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Grace7
    Grace7 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thanks for clarifying Poppy.

I'm not eligible for any other benefits as they are means tested. I have savings over the threshold. 

I read online that if someone claims carers allowance, it might affect the cared for persons Council tax reduction. Do you know if these affects the severe mental impairment reduction/ exemption? 

I live alone but have support coming in during the week. I then spend Friday to Sunday staying at my parents. 

Thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    It won't affect your council tax reduction because you won't be the one claiming it. It could affect your dads benefits, such as housing benefit and council tax reduction because carers allowance is classed as income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.