How I can I get help with motability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How I can I get help with motability

mrkirti
mrkirti Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited January 2019 in Transport and travel
I want to have a car on motability but what they give me in motability allowance is not enough get a car I get only £22.65 a week and all motability sceams starts from £45.00 a week upwards i have been declared disable for life due to my illness what should I do 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The Motability Scheme helps disabled people get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair. 

To be eligible to join the Scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and must have at least 12 months' award length of your allowance remaining.
    Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA
    Enhanced Rate of Mobility  Component of PIP

If you are getting £22.65 that would be the standard rate and so according to the Motability website, you aren't eligible for the motability scheme.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mrkirti
    I don’t know why I can’t get more then what they give me I can’t walk for long I can’t carry or lift any things even my consultants are surprised been in wheel chair still I’m not considered as disabled 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    mrkirti    So sorry to hear about your problems but as @Sam_Scope says above you don't meet the qualifying criteria at the moment.  Maybe you should put in for a reassessment for DLA or PIP to try to get the 12 points you need. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• mrkirti
    I'm new in this things but I'll try to do what you say then will let you know thanks for the advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When was the decision made on you current claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrkirti
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration then Tribunal if that failed? If you didn't and the decision was made within 13 months then you're still within the time to request the MR. You'll need a good reason why you're late in doing this.

If not then you can report a worsening of condition. However, before doing any of these, you need to get face to face advice from either welfare rights or a law centre. No on on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award when requesting any of these because we don't know how your conditions affect you.

Enhanced mobility is need to exchange your mobility payments for a car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness