Asperger 11 year old boy, no support and struggling to cope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asperger 11 year old boy, no support and struggling to cope

reece
reece Community member Posts: 7 Connected
My son is 11yrs and has been diagnosed with Mild Aspergers ADHD. Due to diagnosis being mild I get no support for my son from
anyone. I also have another child of 9 yrs and am a single parent.
I have given up my bedroom so my son can have his own space and now share a room with my daughter as we are not entitled to be moved. I work part time but keep having time of to support my son with his issues and behaviour.
School provide no support as not enough funding,  DLA got rejected due to my sons needs being the same as any other child his age. My son holds it all together at school through the day then off loads with tantrums when he comes home to me and his sister. 
No one wants to help us. School indentified Concerns. Received the Diagnosis. Now door shuts.    Anyone know of any help I can get? It’s effecting my Mental Health now

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi reece
    Sorry to hear about your problems.  Sounds like your son needs a stronger diagnosis.  I think you should talk to your GP about rediagnoseing him, then you can start asking/claiming for more help. Try contacting a mental health group for you there's lots on the internet just put in what you want in a search. 

Hope this helps and things get better
  • reece
    Ok thank you. I will have a look and discuss with GP
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reece, thanks for sharing this with us.

It sounds as though you really have your hands full at the moment, and I'm so sorry to hear it's impacting your mental health. I'd second the suggestion of discussing things with your GP, and it might also be worth contacting the NAS helpline to see if there's anything they can recommend.

Our lines are open 10am-4pm from Monday-Thursday. On Fridays, we are open from 9am-3pm (excluding Bank Holidays). You can call us on 0808 800 4104.

Does that sound doable? Please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • reece
    Thank you for this information, 
    I am in the process of booking a GP appointment at moment and I will also contact Nas to see if they have any advice. 
    I will keep you posted with outcome. Thanks again 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reece
    Im glad to hear you have a GP appointment as they can be really helpful in signposting you to any local support. I wonder if you have an Early Help team in your area? It may be worth asking your GP.

Early Help offers advice, support and direct interventions to support families to support themselves. They are run through your local council and can offer so much support in many different ways, whether that is behaviour, mental health or practical support. They work with your whole family.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness