Autism and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and PIP

Statham
Statham Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am awaiting dwp decision letter from DWP but have assessors report which gives my son who is on the autistic spectrum - nothing for daily living support.  She said he could do complex budgeting - he cant - I do all his banking, am joint on his account and he saves £5 for each bill every week in a tin under his bed which I had to work out for him. Also says he can understand complex written information which again he cant as I have to explain every letter he receives to him.
At the end of quite a few descriptors it says although HOC reports he has a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome, he has no diagnosed cognitive or learning impairment which would restrict his ability to manage this task and therefore it is medically probable he can manage this task undaided.  In other words he doesnt have a learning disability so he can do it.  This is so incorrect as Autism affects his thinking greatly.
How can I respond to this when I have to do a Mandatory reconsideration.  many thanks
Lesley

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Statham
    I am sorry to hear this. As you know, you can ask the DWP to look at the decision again in a mandatory reconsideration.
    • It's best to do this in writing and give reasons why you disagree. The address to write to is on the decision letter you have received.
    • You must do this within a month of the date of the original decision.

DWP will look at your claim and tell you their new decision.

• You have a month to ask for an appeal if you are still unhappy.
    • This must be in writing and it's best to appeal using form SSCS1 (pdf download). Download the pdf of guidance notes to help you.
    • You must state your reason for the appeal clearly and forward any supporting evidence as soon as possible – do not wait for the hearing.

If you need advice on completing this you may call HMCTS on 0300 123 1142.

You can download Form SSCS1 (pdf)  or get a paper copy from your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and Jobcentre Plus office.

You must complete sections 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8. Use black ink and block capitals.

Section 5 is where you must state your reasons for your appeal. You must write down the reasons why you think the decision is wrong. Your reasons do not have to be lengthy or written in legal language, but you need to say more than just 'I disagree'. Explain simply why you think the decision is incorrect and what you believe the correct decision should be.

Send your appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service. If you live in England or Wales you should send your appeal to:

HMCTS SSCS Appeals Centre
    PO Box 1203
    Bradford
    BD1 9WP

Telephone: 0300 123 1142

Don't forget to sign the form and enclose your mandatory reconsideration decision letter.

We have information on appeals here and you might like to watch this video.  If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • 786shabnam
    786shabnam Community member Posts: 7 Listener

I am sorry your son is going through the experiences he is having with his PIP application; I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome/High Functioning Autism in April 2015 I took all my paperwork down to my assessment but the assessor still gave me a list of zeros.  It is appalling how HFAs are being treated.  I do feel for your son he seems to be having a tougher time than me. I was in the beginning of an autistic breakdown; when I tried to contact the DWP about their decision.  The hadn't even registered both my Mandatory Notices in response to their decision on my old and new claims.  sometimes I think the discrimination High Functioning Autistics go through is appalling and really testing of our patience and resolve.  hang in there for your son and; follow the videos posted by the disability charity Scope on this issue.  You can find them on YouTube as well. 

I tried my local advisory service; absolutely appalling didn't get me an appointment until three months after I could have appealed.  I wouldn't rely too much on the local community; I'm speaking from personal experience.

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    appeal it, as it is AUTISM which is limiting to daily life so definitely appeal
  • Linda1234
    Linda1234 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    I went to appeal and my award was increased.  They seemed to have more understanding of autism in court.  Mostly to do with my inability to communicate in a courtroom and I am unable to go out much.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Well done Linda autism is a daily life limiting illness and don't let others tell you it's not even if it's not visible at times 
  • soup11
    soup11 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hello all, I've just been diagnosed as on the autism scale, I have a post diagnosis appointment next week, not really sure what to expect, but would be good, to "hopefully get some answers" 
     I am already receiving pip for depression  and anxiety, this was only awarded after a "very very" long battle.
    So please don't give up on what your entitled to, it's an exhausting process with the DWP , but I also found the courts a great deal more understanding and compassionate .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @soup11, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us! 

Brightness