Is it possible to claim just the housing element of Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it possible to claim just the housing element of Universal Credit?

cherri
cherri Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Does anyone know if it's possible to claim just the housing element of Universal Credit? If it is possible, would the person claiming be required to attend meetings at the Job Centre? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi,

It doesn't work like that for UC i'm afraid. Why does the person want to claim just the housing element? Do they claim any other benefits, are they working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cherri
    I have a relative that has just lost their ESA and is now having to claim UC. They are finding this very stressful & can't leave their home alone to go to the Job Centre. I'm having to take unpaid leave to accompany them to the Job Centre and provide emotional support over night. I'm exhausted! I could afford to support them financially but can't afford to cover their rent as well if they decided to stop claiming UC & just wondered if there's any financial support they can get which doesn't involve Job Centre visits? We can't continue like this as a family.
  • cherri
    They don't work or get any other benefits apart from Council Tax Reduction.
  • cherri
    They've previously been turned down for PIP.
  • poppy123456
    You can't claim just the housing element of UC because there's the claimant agreement. What they need to do is send in sick notes from their GP to start the limited capability for work process off. Then they need to speak to their work coach to see if they can lower their job searches to less hours per week.

Are they requesting the mandatory reconsideration for the ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cherri
    The mandatory considerations been sent in. GP has given a two month sick note & we are back at Job Centre on Monday so we will speak to the work coach then.
    If they were sanctioned would they lose the Housing element of UC?
  • poppy123456
    If a sanction is given it's a reduction of the UC payment. The housing element is in with the payment, so it depends on how much of a sanction they have.

A sick note doesn't automatically qualify you for limited capability for work and which group you're placed into for work requirements will depend on your work coach.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.